How to Beat Seasonal Affective Disorder

Avoiding The Seasonal Slump

AKA the worst time of the year.

2

Unfortunately, the first few months of the year tend to be the worst few months of the year... at least in my opinion. It really sucks because it is the season of new beginnings and reinventing yourself - new year, new me - am I right? Making all of these goals and changes in the dead of winter can be a challenge, especially to my New Englanders. Dropping temperatures, long days becoming short, and the holiday season coming to an abrupt end. It makes you question why you were so ready for the new year.

The season of seasonal depression needs to be combatted! I am a glass-half-full kind of girl, so when obstacles are in the way of your happiness, I believe in problem solving and thinking of ways to overcome them. Keeping a positive attitude and making a few changes in your daily routine can get you through these rough, cold, boring months. Here are a few to try!

Vitamin D supplements.

pill-316599_1280.jpg

Vitamin D is amazing for your health... it is essential for humans to get their recommended amounts, like most other vitamins. It is radiated from the sun, usually in high enough amounts to where we can get our fill from spending time in sunshine. In the winter months where the sun is more shy and we spend more time indoors, it is easy to form a deficiency leading to overall health concerns and even contributing to Seasonal Affective Disorder (seasonal depression). Purchasing Vitamin D gummy vitamins is an easy way to get it back into your system so you can remain as healthy and as happy as possible in these harsh months. This was recommended to me a while ago, and it has been something I have sworn by ever since.

Incorporating bright colors.

desktop-3289272_1280.jpg

Winter fashion tends to highlight darker elements. Black dresses, grey sweatpants, and big navy jackets are all too familiar. Switching up your style and wearing pops of color can bring some brightness and joy back into your life. Whenever I get the chance to wear a pink sweatshirt or even just fun socks, I do! It will not solve your problems, but definitely keep things fun!

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

strawberry-2960533_1280.jpg

There is no better time to start (or continue) being healthy than now! Keeping your gym schedule on track can be challenging - if you cannot get yourself to go out on a snowy or brisk day, try Pinterest workouts! Weightless, gym-less, fifteen minute workouts are available in cute lists and can keep your exercise on track even when the weather prevents you from your success. Starting off each days with vitamins, water, fruit and maybe some tea or a cup of coffee can be a game-changer. Start prepping for bikini body season early!

Keeping up with your routines.

checklist-2077020_1280.jpg

Making your bed each morning, putting things back that you took out, completing your assigned homework, attending club meetings, calling your parents - all things that, if kept up with, can avoid a TON of stress later. When you do what you are supposed to, you feel on top of the world. When you fall behind, though, it can feel like things are tumbling down. To avoid that stress in the winter months, create routines and stick to them!

Staying warm!

photo-1501243249600-0560abe6e5a3

Make sure you buy yourself a nice coat or parka! Being cold gives you a cold! Gloves, hats, and sweaters are all essential when going outside... even if it is just between classes. Space heaters and proper attire can change your attitude. Even wearing socks wherever you go can keep you all warm. But, when you're cold it is easy to feel sick or just feel more sad.

Keeping yourself busy

business-3219268_1280.jpg

My mind tends to wander when I have too much time on my hands... snow days can be a ton of fun for me, but usually for the first couple hours. When I have spent an entire day inside and stuck in my house or dorm I feel like I am going crazy. Keeping up with (or getting ahead in) homework, laundry, cleaning your space or doing things you have been putting off can make the time fly and give you more peace of mind on a long winter day.

Moisturizing dry skin

photo-1535450246895-e8df524fc6bb

Changing up your skincare routine can be a game changer! Dry skin can make you feel gross... and unfortunately, this time of year makes it very common to experience this. Adding a moisturizer or switching your skincare products to match your current skin can keep you feeling confident and feeling comfortable. Even the occasional face mask and lip scrub can make you feel amazing!

Add extra light and sunshine!

beach-2179183_1280.jpg

A huge factor in Seasonal Affective Disorder that tends to affect people most frequently is lack of sunlight. In the summer, whether you realize it or not, you are exposed to a ton of sunlight from day to day. Between more time spent outside or sun in all the windows of your house or car, you tend to be in brighter situations in the warmer months. The days in the winter shorten and so does the amount of sunlight you are exposed to... and this can take a toll on your mental health. Buying extra lights and keeping lights on as much as you can, or even opening your blinds when possible and letting natural light flow in can put you at ease. I hate sitting in the dark all the time, so whenever possible I keep a bright space wherever I am.