8 Ways to Avoid Complications in Diabetes

Diabetes

24

If you are reading this article, you are likely to be suffering from Diabetes. Having Diabetes is extremely common in adults as well as children owing to our sedentary lifestyles and inclusion of food that is high in sugar in our daily diet.

Diabetes is associated with high blood sugar and is a metabolic disease. It happens when either one's body doesn't produce enough insulin or when the insulin produced isn't used properly. And if left untreated, high blood sugar levels can damage eyes, kidneys, nerves and other organs. If this is not enough, people with Diabetes face several problems while getting life insurance, and if they do, it would be highly priced. But online resources, such as Diabetes Life Solutions have pledged to help such people.

But with proper care and precautions, Diabetes can be controlled. Want to know how? Read below.

1.Know it all: First of all, don't be scared. There's a whole set of doctors, nurses, dieticians to educate you about Diabetes. They will tell you the foods to avoid, exercise to perform based on the type of Diabetes you have. The most important thing is to maintain your weight, exercise regularly and monitor your blood sugar levels. You should immediately contact a specialist if you notice unusual readings. And always, take your medicines on time.

2.Avoid unhealthy carbs: Any form of starch, sugar or fiber is carbohydrate. While fiber is not digested and absorbed by the body, carbs are easily absorbed. So, carbs spike sugar levels and dangerously in people with Diabetes. Anything which is high in sugar and trans fats and is a form of syrup, dried fruit, highly processed food or artificial juice should be avoided.

3.Blood Pressure and cholesterol should be under control: Damage caused by high blood pressure or high cholesterol intensifies if you have Diabetes. If they occur together, one may experience heart attacks, strokes as well as other life-threatening diseases. Thus, eating healthy, reduced fat food alone with regular exercise becomes necessary. Consult your doctor if you have any of these conditions together for effective medication.

4.Quit smoking: Smoking isn't good for anyone's health. Along with increasing the risk of diabetic complications, it reduces blood flow in legs and feet which may lead to ulcers, infections and causes heart diseases, strokes, eye problems, nerve damage, breathing problems etc. Letting your doctor know about your smoking and working to quit it entirely thus becomes essential.

5.Drink responsibly: If you are drinking and eating at the same time, never forget to count calories. And never binge drink or drink alone. One should always eat while drinking to avoid low or high blood sugar levels. Recommended drinking capacity is one drink for women and men above 65 years and two drinks for men below 65 years. Also, people who use insulin should be aware that alcohol can lead to low blood sugar later.

6.Destress regularly: Stress can cause one to eat without limit or not eat at all, which affects blood sugar level highly. Stress also results in high blood pressure, which, when combined with Diabetes, causes harm to the body. It can also affect one's diabetic care as they might forget taking their medication on time. Therefore, destressing becomes vital. You should get plenty of sleep, exercise timely and practice relaxing techniques.

7.Keep your medicines and vaccines handy: With Diabetes, it is easier to fetch certain illnesses. Consult your doctor about the routine vaccines to get such as flu vaccine, pneumonia vaccine, hepatitis B and other vaccines.

If you smoke or have high blood pressure, the doctor may prescribe low doses of aspirin daily. Aspirin helps to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. But it should be taken only after your doctor's recommendation.

8.Pay attention to other body parts: High blood sugar might reduce blood flow in your feet, causing cuts and blisters. If left untreated, these may cause serious infections.

Diabetes can also lead to pain and loss of sensation in your feet. You should also schedule two to four diabetes checkups a year along with yearly physical and routine eye exams. This will ensure that if there is any damage to your eyes or you have any diabetes-related complications, it can be cured on time.

Diabetes also affects your dental health. So, scheduling appointments with your dentist every 6 months should be on your list.