Walk A Mile in These 8 Autobiographer's Shoes

Are you as much of a sucker for memoirs and biographies as I am? Here's ten you should check out.

7

I've always loved hearing other people's stories. Whenever I meet new people I like asking questions to learn as much as the person I'm with is willing to tell me about themselves and their life. I suppose that's why biographical books is one of my favorite genres to read. So, without further ado, here are 10 of my favorite that you should check out if you feel the same.

Becoming - Michelle Obama

Barack Obama wasn't the only admirable Obama. First Lady Michelle Obama is just about as inspiring as they come. Her hard work, dedication, compassion, and wit are just a few of the pieces of who she is that we all love so much about her. Her book is the perfect addition to your library if you want to hear about how she came to be the fabulous lady she is today.

The Princess Diarist - Carrie Fisher

Carrie Fisher is one of my all-time favorite people to ever exist - her stories share the same humor and sarcasm that she did in life, and I thoroughly enjoy all of her stories of her life and love (lost and found) throughout the years. If you're ever in need of a laugh or a reminder not to take yourself and the world around you too seriously, this is the book for you.

Make 'Em Laugh - Debbie Reynolds

This book is almost less of a chronological retelling of her life and more of a collection of memories about friends and family to be recounted, and I'm sure her other books do a better job of working as a true autobiography, but this book was one that surprised me as much as it made me laugh (which, by the title, was probably the point!) It's a must read and you're bound to find out some new facts about old Hollywood within it.

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me - Sherman Alexie

I read this for my bookclub about a year ago, and I absolutely loved it. It is raw and powerful and all about the life of Mr. Alexie growing up on a reservation with a difficult relationship to his mother. I can't speak highly enough about how unflinchingly honest this book is, and how well it shows the magic and power of written word in how we heal from our wounds.

Born a Crime - Trevor Noah

One of my best friend's told me that he thought I would enjoy this book, and I definitely did. It's hilarious and honest, just like the man himself, and there are so many moments in which you will have to put the book down just to get yourself to stop cracking up and calm down. At times, reading it feels like having a conversation with a lifelong friend - warm and anything but dull.

Unbowed - Wangari Maathai 

My psychology teacher from high school gifted this book to me as a graduation parting gift, and I didn't know how much it would open my eyes and change my life. It's all about finding the strength within yourself to be unbowed and to work toward your dreams unceasingly. We have the power to make a difference in this world with enough gall to begin, and this book taught me how.

Just Mercy - Bryan Stevenson

I just found out this book is being turned into a movie in 2020! It was another graduation gift from my history teacher senior year of high school, and it just the same changed my life. It is about a civil rights lawyer's journey toward discovering the power of mercy and compassion toward one another, and I weeped only a few times upon reading it. It is an important read, and I cannot praise it enough.

The Latehomecomer - Kao Kalia Yang

I read this book for a college class and found it to be incredibly important and moving, a true story about what it's like to be an immigrant coming to America in search of the fabled American Dream, and how all the glitter and gold surrounding often turns out to be fool's gold and dirt - the American Dream is simply that, a dream. But nonetheless, people persevere through the struggle and create good in this world, which is exactly what Yang did with this book.