Outlandish Australian Open 2017

Outlandish Australian Open 2017

Top players on the men and women's side have been knocked out before the quarterfinals

3

The Australian Open has been atypical this year. Not only has the Australian Open results on the men’s side, but also on the women’s been highly unusual. Both number one ranked players, Andy Murray and Angelique Kerber were eliminated in the fourth rounds. Murray lost to 50th ranked German Mischa Zverev and Kerber to 35th ranked American Coco Vandeweghe. Kerber did not even manage to win one set against Vandeweghe whereas Murray was able to squeak out one set 7-5 against Zverev.

Novak Djokovic, ranked number 2 in the world was shockingly eliminated in the second round to 117th ranked Denis Istomin. Istomin won in a hard-fought five sets against Djokovic on January 18th. Isomin is set to play Grigor Dimitrov January 23rd at 1:00 am Eastern time. Istomin, the 30 year old from Uzbekistan was in a severe car crash in 2001, in which he broke his leg, and doctors said he was lucky to even be alive. After 3.5 months of rehabilitation, Istomin was able to begin his journey back to playing tennis.

As of right now, the men in the quarterfinal are Mischa Zverev, Stan Wawrinka, Roger Federer, and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. For the women, Coco Vandeweghe, Venus Williams, Gabine Muguruza, and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova are into the quarterfinals. Games on both sides to decide the other quarterfinal players are happening on January 22nd and January 23rd.

For me, I hope Wawrinka wins the men’s singles and Wandeweghe wins the women’s singles since I’ve been a fan of them both for years now. Now, they both definitely have a chance to win the Australian Open.