August 2018 Favorites

August Favorites

It's only the 20th as I write this, but I've had a packed three weeks.

30
August Favorites

It's hard to believe 2018 is over halfway done! Everyone seems to be really looking forward towards the fall, whereas I'm still not over going to the beach for the millionth time and wearing shorts.

1. Book: "One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories"

Instead of re-binging "The Office," as I normally would, I decided to look into other projects the cast members have done over the years. I ended up finding B.J. Novak's book, which was about 300 pages of hilarious short stories, all filled with Novak's unique voice for each.

2. Movie: "Crazy Rich Asians"

Also based on a book I liked, this movie has set a record for breaking box office records, all while being an entirely Asian cast. Set in my home city, this movie was one I've been looking forward to ever since I heard of its announcement. The movie was hilarious, cute, and heartwarming all while making you fall in love with the individual characters and their surroundings.

3. Chicago Nightlife: Dunder Mifflin Pop-Up

Because my "Office" obsession is too strong to only be mentioned once! This month, the arcade bar in Lincoln Park known as Replay had remodeled into a pop-up bar to incorporate the setting of Dunder Mifflin, all while hosting events such as themed trivia.

4. Resturant: Tocco

Located in Wicker Park, this family owned Italian resturant is great for a special occasion. The interior is completely modern in design, but the food tastes as original as the family's own recipe. Located right off the six corners, the neighborhood of Wicker Park already has dozens of food options, but this one is worth checking out.

5. Tourist Attraction: A Happy Place

It seems as if recently the city has moved to pop-up business models (which is quite smart, because it's relatively easy to continually put off doing something, due to the excuse that "it will always be there.") The pop-up museum known a "A Happy Place" opened up in West Town and it was room after room of colorful displays, sets, props, and other photo-related and enhancing experiences. Fun for the whole family, this event was guaranteed to put you in a good mood.

6. Street Festival: Market Days

Because Pride 2018 wasn't enough! I've always preferred the street festival of Market Days to the Pride parade and even the pride festival, because this one attracts far more local people instead of intense crowds who are usually unable to navigate the streets. Eight blocks full of vendors, food, drinks, music, dancing and energy is enough to make anyone want to join in. Living in the neighborhood added extra perks as I was able to come and go as I pleased and meet up with various people throughout the day.

7. Show: Steve Martin and Martin Short

This night of comedy was 100% worth commuting to the suburbs for! An hour or two filled with laughs from comedic legends and banjo playing, Steve Martin and Martin Short, all while sitting outside in the park enjoying one of the last warm summer nights at the Ravinia.

8. Concert: Lollapalooza

As a first time goer, this event was exactly what I expected, but still managed to surprise me. Naturally, I was expecting swarms of teenagers and a chaotic environment, however, actually being there was its own experience. I personally only went for one night, and that was enough to exhaust me the entire next day... seeing Post Malone and Bruno Mars live together for cheaper than their individual concerts would cost was entirely worth dealing with the crowds, though.

I'm spending the last 11 days of August recuperating and chilling in my home city with my family, as the prior 20 days have been filled with all of the activities above, plus work, school, and other social plans.