Attention All Dress Code Violators

Attention All Dress Code Violators

Should you really follow dress code?

14
Attention All Dress Code Violators

Lately I've seen a lot of pictures and stories appear on my newsfeed about teenage girls, and occasionally guys, being send home because they've violated school dress codes. The students, their parents, and a lot of people who are complete strangers to them are outraged when they are asked to go home and change and many people seem to be completely against it. After the numerous people's thought and opinions I have been reading I decided to share my own unpopular opinion the topic.

I remember the woeful days when I couldn't wear leggings, shorts, or tank tops to class. It was inconvenient, uncomfortable in the heat, and embarrassing whenever someone would get called out by the teacher for wearing something that broke my strict high school dress code. At that time it was a tragedy that I was being forced to follow rules that seemed outdated and ridiculous. This thought process continued, until I joined the real world.

How many times have you ever walked into a lawyer, doctor, or any other professional adult's office and seen them wearing shorts or a tank top while at work? While I'm sure someone somewhere has been the exception as a majority if you decide to have a professional career you must also dress the part. While in their free time most women and men wouldn't prefer to wear a suit or scrubs, when they are at work they wear their conservative and appropriate uniforms because it's what they are being paid to do. You wouldn't show up to a job interview wearing yoga pants and a low cut tank top as a female or in cut off short and no shirt as a male, because just like school there is a certain level of professionalism that you are expected to follow.

While I believe that everyone, both men and women have a right to express themselves with their clothing choices, there is a time and place for that. While dress code rules are strict and can seem unfair, they are enforced to let the emphasis be on getting an education. It's teaching teenagers to be responsible in their clothing choices to ultimately prepares them for future jobs and situations where a dress code must be followed in order to be taken seriously. It's not meant to be seen as a repression or punishment, but instead to help keep students from wearing things that could be seen as inappropriate while simultaneously teaching students to be responsible .

So while I understand exactly where people are coming from, I disagree that students, both male and female should be praised for breaking dress codes. Being sent home from school to change is a waste of time and wearing an embarrassing cover up over your outfit is humiliating, but if you follow the rules then those things won't happen. It's time to just bare through the years of annoying rules just like other generations have done, instead of complaining and posting about it on social media.

No one should ever feel ashamed of his or her body, but there is a time and place to where your risqué outfits (if you choose to do so) and that is not within the building where you are supposed to be learning how to prepare for the future (hence why there are dress code).

So just endure the dress code restrictions teenage girls and guys, and in a few years you can be a college student like myself who wears leggings, shorts, and other comfortable clothing on a daily basis before I graduate and have to return to a dress code. Save the short skirts, shorts, low cut tops, spaghetti straps and any other clothing for your own time outside of school and think of it as preparing you for reality.