While atheism is a growing religion (or lack thereof) with more and more people associating with it, there has also been a growing backlash. The media often makes it out to be that atheists are out screaming in the streets about their beliefs and trying to force it down everyone's throats. Honestly, I feel it's kind of the opposite.

I've had religion pressed on me by my family, peers, school, and society for as long as I can remember. Not only has this idea been pressed on me, but I've also been threatened with condemnation to hell for my lack of beliefs. Regardless of your religious views, here are a few things that your fellow atheist acquaintances will be very grateful to stop hearing:

1. "You know that you're like...going to hell...right?"

I don't have the best long-term memory, but I still have this encounter in the back of my mind from the choir class I took my freshman year of high school. It probably wouldn't have been so traumatic if it wasn't said in front of a group of people, and I was left not knowing what to say. The thing is, though, and hear me out here, that I don't believe in hell. So, I'm sorry that you think I'm going to rot for eternity, but I'd have to kindly disagree.

2. "So...do you have morals?"

There is this idea that if someone doesn't have some religious background, then they have no morals. My question to people who say this is, is the only reason you do good things because of your belief in an overseeing God? Is life to you like a scoring game to get into Heaven? Because when I do good things, I either want to make a specific person feel good or help a group of people, not just for the sake of getting brownie points with the man above.

3. "Why do you hate God/religious people?"

I can't speak for every atheist because we're a pretty wide and diverse group of people. But I can speak for myself and say that I, in no way, hate God. I simply don't believe in God. And no, I don't hate religious people. While I may not agree with them, they are free to believe in what they want just like I am.

4. "Come to my church."

While I'm sure that your religious community is amazing, I'll have to pass. I've been asked this by a few different people who wanted to convert me to their religion. And I get it, if your religion is really important then I understand why you want to help others see the way you do. But please, if I say no once, just leave it at that.

5. "Have you read the Bible?"

This is usually said as a form of lowering someone's choice of why they're not religious. If they say they haven't read the holy text, then it just means that they aren't educated on religion. Therefore, their religious choice is irrelevant. You don't have to be able to recite the Bible to choose not to follow it.

6. "It's just a phase/you'll see the light soon."

Umm...nope. Sorry, I think I'll be here forever.

7. "I'll pray for you."

I see that you mean well, and I do appreciate it. But if you're saying this just because I'm an atheist…please, just don't.

8. "There's no proof that God doesn't exist."

And there's no real proof that he does...moving on.

9. "I've experienced God personally."

It's not that I'm trying to call you a liar here, but...maybe it was just a coincidence?

10. "So who do you think created the universe?"

Again, I can't speak for all atheists, but the Big Bang Theory tends to be pretty popular.

11. "So you're a Satanist?"

No, I don't believe in Satan, either. Sorry.

12. "Are you going to force atheism on your kids?"

Well, no. If I choose to have kids, I want them to be free to choose whatever religion they fancy. But just like you probably will bring your kids to church every Sunday, I will not. It doesn't mean I want to force atheism onto them; I just don't want them growing up in a particular church.

13. "Join us in prayer."

So...you want me to stand there awkwardly while everyone else joins hands and speaks to someone I don't believe in? Nah.

Overall, atheists are not evil people doomed to spend eternity in hellfire. We're just out here trying to live our lives like you are trying to live yours.