10 Tips To Make Workouts At Home Easy

10 Simple Ways To Make Exercising From Home Easier Than Ever

I much prefer working out at home. But I have a 900-square foot apartment.

25

I hate exercise. I hate working out. I am not big fan of sports or anything physically active.

While I am not very coordinated, I hate physical activity because I don't like getting sweaty and being gross. I especially don't like using gym equipment that other sweaty, gross people have touched.

I decided at the beginning of 2019 that I wanted to make exercise a bigger part of my life but I did not get serious about it until this summer.

I am not a gym-goer. I hate that the machine I want is always either taken or broken. I hate the boys staring at me. I hate walking around in my sweat-soaked shirt. I hate that people look at me strangely for reading on the stationary bike. I hate the grunts from the meatheads. And I hate going into the locker rooms where I have to change in front of a bunch of strangers!

I much prefer working out at home. But I have a 900-square foot apartment. There is not much space to run and jump around in here.

Despite the small space available to me, I have been able to successfully work out in my home through these 10 tips I used below! So if you hate the gym but you want to start working out, here is what works for me.

1. Clear some space in the living room or bedroom.

The first thing you need when starting a new workout routine is enough space. Space can be deceiving. If you can take two steps ahead of you and two steps to each side of you that is usually enough space for a workout; you will just need to modify some things.

The more space you can make for yourself the better. Move the coffee table or the dresser aside and put it back at the end of the workout.

2. Purchase some equipment!

I suggest purchasing hand weights. I have a 3lb, 5lb, and 10lb set of hand weights. I also think the resistance bands in the photo above would be a good purchase! You can find a lot of this equipment at the dollar store or at a thrift store.

3. Use a yoga mat.

Using a yoga mat is a great way to keep your space clean. When doing a workout on the floor, you will also feel cleaner!

4. Buy workout DVDs or get workouts on phone apps.

Facebook

There are plenty of apps you can download with various workouts and stretching routines. Whether you are looking to track calories, count steps, or create an entire workout routine, you can find an app that does this for your phone!

I am a big fan of workout DVDs. You can buy these at thrift stores, garage sales, and dollar stores. These workout videos usually contain warmups and cooldowns, they are also meant to be done in your home.

5. Checkout some YouTube videos.

I have been getting into using YouTube workout videos for my workout routines. My favorite channels are BeatFit and Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home. The workouts on YouTube channels are usually meant to be in done your home so the instructors make sure to not take up too much space. You can find super difficult and sweaty workouts on YouTube, but you can find easy, relaxing ones as well.

You can also watch videos to learn how to do common moves properly, such as squatting or lunging.

6. Stretch for 5 minutes everyday.

I started stretching daily three months ago. Over the course of those three months, I have gained a great deal of flexibility and noticed extra toning in muscles. Stretching is not very involved and each move doesn't take very long (10 seconds). It doesn't matter how far you stretch. So long as it burns a little, you are working on your flexibility.

7. Modify the movements if you don't have enough space.

If you don't have the space to move up four steps and back four steps, do two instead.

If you don't feel like doing jumping jacks today, side step it instead.

If you don't have the suggested equipment, such as hand weights, you can use other items like water bottles and books to lift.

8. Who said you had to stay inside? Take your workout outdoors!

On nice days and evenings, there is no reason you can't take the workout outdoors. Biking, jogging, and even walking the dog are awesome ways to get cardio and fresh air in.

9. Ask your roommate or partner to work out with you.

Exercise can be lonesome. Especially when done at your home. But if you live with someone, or have a friend to invite over, invite them to workout with you.

10. Workout during times the neighbors below you will either be at work or awake.

This is a tip for all of my apartment-dwelling friends! If you want to start working out at home, make sure you aren't doing burpees at 1:00am. It's rude and the reason the 24-hour gyms were created. I suggest working out anytime between 8:00am-9:00pm to avoid pissing off the neighbors.

If you are going to work out super late, make sure you live on the bottom floor of an apartment, do it in the living room, and make sure not to jump around too much.

I know exercise may sound like a difficult addition to your already crazy routine, but if you don't even have to leave the house, exercise can be done WHENEVER it is best for you! With the investment of around $10-$20 total (instead of that same range per month), you can have your own at-home gym that is equipped for a workout whenever it suits your schedule!