Aspies and Myers Briggs

Aspies and Myers Briggs

Aspies are a diverse bunch.

463
Aspies and Myers Briggs

The MBTI type theory has proven to be a very controversial, yet interesting theory about the nature of human personality and how people behave. It describes their preferences for how they behave and whether they prefer to be introverted or extroverted. Another is that they tend to be more rational or in tune with their feelings. This mentality is of course subject to a spectrum and people don’t fit neatly into the categories. It is still fun to speculate, however, on these preferences.

For Aspies like me, MBTI types still apply and their effects can be seen. Aspies tend to be more rational and focused on their own world and reality; this leads to them being more likely to type as INTJ or INTP. This also fits in with Aspies being more focused on their interests and hobbies and being less in touch with the world around them. Nevertheless, there is diversity in MBTI types among us, and these traits can manifest in radically different ways. The preferences are there, but they are affected by being on the spectrum. Here are my thoughts on how Aspies of different MBTI types could act (it could all be wrong of course):

INTJ: INTJs tend to be very brilliant and focused on their goals. They love making plans, making theories and wrestling with them. They also are capable of very innovative thought, and they combine this with their determination to achieve great things. They also are stubborn and can be quite cold and insensitive; this is merely a result of their emphasis on rationality and logic over social harmony. Many aspies fit very well in this category.

INTP: INTPs are also very theoretical and capable of creative abstract thought. They love working with their minds and analyzing problems. Unlike INTJs though, they tend to be very detached and focused on he theoretical side of things. They make really great innovators, but they tend to withdraw from social situations are really shy. They also tend to disregard social norms and focus more on their theories and ideas. Many aspies, especially the more scientific ones, tend to fit here as well.

ENTJ: ENTJs are very dynamic and energetic. They love taking risks and being innovative. They work very hard and prefer to be in charge, making their visions a reality. These are the folks that do very well in launching their own startups, working relentlessly to fulfill their dream. ENTJ Aspies are likely be a lot more talkative and stubborn, demanding to get their way. They would also be more assertive and thus better able to resolve conflics, albeit not in the most sensitive way though.

ENTP: ENTPs are also dynamic and energetic; they are brimming with ideas and creativity like INTPs. They tend to be more extroverted and thus enjoy debates and verbal sparring. They tend to be very free-spirited and confrontational, loving to assert their point of view. This makes them come off as insensitive, but they also can be instrumental in achieving change. ENTP Aspies would tend to more talkative like ENTJs, but they would also possess the raw creativity and independence of INTPs. Simply put, they are a force to be reckoned with.

INFJ: INFJs are very quiet, yet passionate advocates for change. They fight for causes they believe in and help people however they can, while also preferring to shun the limelight. They can be very idealistic and passionate about their cause, and they attract people to the cause. INFJ Aspies would tend to be superficially similar in behavior to INTJ Aspies, but they would have a strong sense of fairness and a desire to help others, regardless of what others thought. Their emotional side would be underexpressed, but it would be expressed in short bursts of passion and energy.

INFP: INFPs are quiet, free-spirited folks. They seek to live life on their terms and to be in harmony with others and nature. They are also kind and idealistic, often to a fault. Their weakness is in logic and rationality, but their creativity and principled nature make up for that. They can be very creative writers and artists, and also great philosophers. INFP Aspies are likely to be quiet and superficially similar to their INTP cousins. But the feeling side is predominant and INFP Aspies are likely to be very stubborn and principled, focusing on living life on their own terms.

ENFJ: ENFJs are charismatic and powerful leaders, capable of helping and inspiring people to reach their heights. They are warm and friendly, able to win over crowds and get things done. They are natural politicians, focused on understanding and collaborating with their peers. They can be idealistic to a fault, and they can be hesitant to deal with conflicts. They also can neglect their own needs as well. ENFJ Aspies, like me, are likely to be more sensitive to others and more willing to conform to social norms. This gives us greater abilities to develop social skills and assimilate into society, but it creates a tension about conforming in us that is hard to resolve.

ENFP: ENFPs are charismatic and warm, independent and free-spirited. They prefer to be free and innovative, making new friends and plans easily. They enjoy connecting with others and really achieving things. They are innovative and often attract people for their sheer warmth and charisma. ENFP Aspies are likely to be friendly and sociable, yet idealistic to a fault. They are likely to get along well with like-minded, quirky folks and bring spice and variety to their friendships. ENFP Aspies are definitely very optimistic and cheerful.

ISTJ: ISTJs are the complete opposite of ENFPs. They are structured and rigid, committed to getting the tasks assigned to them done. They are honest and reliable workers and spouses, fathers and citizens. They are committed to their work and view their obligations as non-negotiable. They also stick to the rules and established processes. They can be inflexible and insensitive at times, but they are efficient and dedicated to getting the job done. ISTJ Aspies are likely to be quiet and mild-mannered, preferring to do their work and as they are told. They tend to be more creative and innovative than the typical ISTJ, however.

ISTP: ISTPs are free-spirited and curious. They love working with mechanical concepts and devices, passionately solving new problems. They tend to be more practical than INTPs, preferring to build actual cars as opposed to spending years theorizing the most energy-efficient car engine. They are very spontaneous and unpredictable, moving to different topics and problems that pique their interest. They can be quiet and then active and dynamic when the situation calls for it. They can also be very reckless and insensitive, but usually well-meaning. ISTP Aspies are likely to be rebellious and impulsive, but very mechanically skilled. They would do well with their hands. They are, in essence, the complete opposite of me, who is very mechanically ungifted.

ESTJ: ESTJs are very active, craving authority and stability. Hey are called to lead, taking charge and getting things done in accordance with rules and established guidelines. They can be very stubborn and inflexible, but they are willing to change their minds if thoroughly convinced. They also make great administrators, fair and impartial. ESTJ Aspies are likely to be technical and precise, focused on telling other people what is right and being very detail-oriented. They would make very skilled, dedicated workers.

ESTP: ESTPs are natural daredevils and stunt men, very active in their endeavors. They thrive under pressure and in chaotic situations, swooping in and fixing things. They are dynamic and sociable, impulsive and prone to risk-taking. Donald Trump is an example of these folks, although a very negative one. ESTPs can live very dangerous, risky, and immoral lives, but they also can be dynamic and spontaneous, adding spice and variety to the world. ESTP Aspies are likely to be loud and kinda obnoxious, but also very fun to be around and sociable.

ISFJ: ISFJs are quiet and sensitive folks. They tend to be very calm and patient, committed to helping their family and friends. They also desire stable relationships and deep commitments, but are patient and tolerant of other people. They are very very sensitive people however and can take things really personally, as well as avoiding conflict. But their positive qualities usually outweigh the bad. ISFJ Aspies are likely to be quiet and benevolent, very loyal and committed to those they care about even to a fault. They are also more likely to conform than even ENFJs like me, due to their need for acceptance and stability. This can be good or bad.

ISFP: ISFPs are perhaps the most Intuitive of the Sensors there. They tend to be quiet and laid back, curious and spontaneous. They actively change who they are to find something they can be satisfied with. They are creative explorers, taking risks and living life intensely. They tend to despise criticism and are not focused on the future as much, but they are nevertheless welcomed wherever they go. ISFP Aspies tend to be very stubborn and strong-willed, passionate about change and expressing themselves creatively.

ESFJ: ESFJs comprise the social glue of society. They are committed to providing practical support to people and nurturing their children and relationships in accordance with society. They are popular and charismatic, fulfilling their social obligations effortlessly. ESFJs place high value on conformity with social norms, often being judgmental and critical of those who deviate. They are also very emotional and sensitive to conflict and criticism, but they will also seek to resolve conflicts in ways they think are right. ESFJ Aspies are likely to have the best time adjusting to normal society due to their preferences. They are more able to pick up social norms and follow through with them; they will also display the signs of genuine empathy and warmth that society expects. On the downside, it can take a lot of effort and be taxing on their minds, so they must find a delicate balance like ENFJs must do.

ESFP: ESFPs are the most sociable, friendly folks in the human race. They are committed to having fun and connecting with others. Parties and giant social gatherings are their natural habitat. They have many friends and many money problems; life is fun for them but also very tough. They can be impulsive and wishy-washy at worst but are usually caring, fun people to be around. ESFP Aspies are likely to be very chatty and friendly, regardless of the reactions of others. They enjoy other people and are likely to become more popular as they mature and learn social skills and norms. ESFP Aspies are truly dynamic and unconventional folks.