For Anyone Who Asks Themselves In Despair, 'Why Me?'
Friendships

For Anyone Asking Themselves In Despair, 'Why Me?'

For better or for worse, everything happens for a reason.

31
sad college girl looking out window

Have you ever just sat in bed at night and wondered "why me?"

Specifically, why don't things go your way sometimes? Why does it seem that every single person other than you gets exactly what they want? I know I feel that way. I look at my friends and they're the ones that get the boy that you wanted, the job that you were praying for, the part in a show while you get to sit in the audience. When by some miracle something does go your way, it doesn't last or it wasn't exactly what you anticipated to be.

The number of conversations where I would try to barter with God is astronomical. It feels completely one way and that I'm just crying to radio silence. Why can't I be the pretty one? Why am I not smart enough to be on the Dean's list? Why isn't the guy I like interested in me? Why can't I ever get picked first for pickup basketball? Why can't I seem to lose the weight I've been striving to do for YEARS?

Just... why me?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. I'm willing to bet that everyone has had that thought at some point in their lives but when you have it, you feel like you are at your lowest point and it hurts like heck. You feel like your entire existence is a joke because nothing is working out for you.

Maybe not now they won't, but they will eventually.

There will come a day when you will be perfectly content with yourself. You will embrace your looks and your personality. That jerk that you were on and off with for years will finally be erased from your life and you will find the person that reflects your soul. You won't feel lonely at night anymore. You will finally have a job that will make you feel like the most successful person in the world and for once in your life, you won't be asking "why me?" but instead you will be saying, "I did it and I'm happy with myself."

Now it may seem that you will never be content with anything in your life but for better or for worse, everything happens for a reason. Whenever you feel like the world is against you, remember that there are still people who are rooting for you and your success and that you're not the only one asking why me? It just takes time. Time, patience, persistence, and knowing when you need to rest. Some battles aren't meant to be won by you but there a million more battles that are waiting for your victory.

So go ahead, cry about it for a bit but then pick yourself up and keep going. You won't be asking "why me" forever.