Ask an Attorney: 7 Steps to Prepare for a Wrongful Death Case

Many people try to save on the costs of filing a lawsuit and going to court by representing themselves

16
Death Case

Has someone you love died in an accident? Do you suspect that it was because of another party's negligence? It's important to make sure that you work with a qualified wrongful death attorney in Houston. Here are a few ways to prepare for your case.

Ask an Wrongful Death Attorney in Houston Attorney: 7 Steps to Prepare for a Wrongful Death Case

1. Contact a Lawyer

Many people try to save on the costs of filing a lawsuit and going to court by representing themselves. But you are going to want to think twice about doing this. If you don't have the right training, you are likely to make mistakes, and it will be much easier for the other party to take advantage of you.

One of the first things you should do is call a lawyer. Lawyers have professional training, which means that they know how the court system works and they'll help you get the best settlement possible.

2. Know If You Have a Case

One of the best reasons to hire a Houston wrongful death attorney as early on in the process as possible is because they'll help you understand if you actually have a viable case on your hands. While a loss of life is tragic in any situation, not all deaths can qualify for a wrongful death lawsuit.

A wrongful death is caused by another party's negligence. Your lawyer will help you determine if your case could be a viable one. They may also be able to point out some factors that you may not have considered before that could help your case.

3. Know Your Statue of Limitations

There is a time limit that you need to be aware of if you are looking to file a lawsuit for wrongful death. This time limit is known as a statute of limitations. This time frame varies depending on the type of lawsuit you are filing, as well as which state you are in.

In Texas, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim is two years. It's very important to make sure that you are filing your lawsuit within this time frame for it to stay valid.

4. Gather Evidence

If you are filing a wrongful death claim, you are going to need to prove that the other party was at fault for the death of your loved one. The burden of proof in any case always falls upon the accuser, so it's up to you to gather the evidence you need.

It's important to gather things like photos and videos of the place where the accident happened. Your lawyer can let you know what other pieces of evidence might be helpful for your case, and they'll help you gather everything safely.

5. Prepare Your Complaint

If you believe that you have a viable case on your hands and that the other party was at fault for the death of your loved one, you can start preparing your complaint. It's important to make sure that you are doing everything properly, or else your case could get thrown out.

Your lawyer will help make sure that your complaint is prepared properly, and that your case has the best chance possible. There is important information to include in your complaint, and your lawyer will ensure that all of that information is included.

6. File Your Complaint

Your lawyer will help you write your complaint, and they'll also carefully double-check it to make sure it contains all the accurate information that it's supposed to. Once your complaint is ready, they'll also help you file it. There will be specific rules that you need to follow when filing a complaint, and it's crucial to make sure you follow them.

Your lawyer will help you to understand the process. Filing the complaint is when the process starts moving, so don't be afraid to ask your lawyer questions if there's anything you don't understand.

7. Present Your Case

In many cases, a wrongful death settlement can be reached outside of the courts. But there will be times when you need to take your case in front of a judge or jury. If this happens, your lawyer will be there for you. They'll represent you and your loved one and ensure that you get the justice and compensation that you deserve.

Another thing that your lawyer will help you do is to stay organized. When you take your case to court, it's very important to keep everything in order and stay on top of things. A lawyer will know what you'll need and when, and they'll make sure you have it.

Losing someone in an accident because of someone else's negligence is an incredibly tragic and traumatic experience. If you suspect that your loved one died wrongfully, then you should be compensated for this. And remember, your lawyer will always be on your side