As An Artist Grows, So Does Their Music

As An Artist Grows, So Does Their Music

Artists change, too.
58

Artists who are in bands grow up. They go through life experiences. They date people. They break up with them, get into relationships, marry them, etc. As the artists grow up, so does their music.

The music at first may be light, poppy and fun to dance to and may change to dark, raw and sometimes painful to listen to and may make us cry, as "Last Young Renegade" by All Time Low does for me.

Other times, music may do the complete opposite and start out dark and may shift to light and poppy. Sleeping with Sirens are a great example of this. I'm not saying their recent music is bad, I'm saying that their sound from their 2010 album "With Ears To See And Eyes To Hear" is different from their 2017 album "Gossip."

"With Ears To See And Eyes To Hear" is heavy, both instrumentally and vocally while "Gossip" is full of songs that you may hear playing on the radio.

Artists may experiment and try new things, which can cause mixed reactions, such as Fall Out Boy's "M A N I A" that was released earlier this year.

Some of the songs on the record are more electronic and have a bit of auto-tune while others have the "old" Fall Out Boy sound that many people fell in love with, which is why the album got so many mixed reactions because it was different than what we were used to hearing.

The life experiences that artists go through find their way into the music. They may be good, they may be bad or they may be incredibly hard to talk about, which can often time make the music that much more relatable.

With the things these artists go through, sometimes their sound may need to change. "Last Young Renegade" was immediately noticeably different from "Future Hearts" because of the messages in the songs. Alex Gaskarth said in a letter that was sent out to the fanbase early last year that said he had given sides of him that were hard to talk about a name and then the stories came pouring out like a "flood."

His letter proves my point. He gave sides of him that were HARD to talk about a name, and because they were hard to talk about, it resulted in the band creating a darker sound.

I see people all the time on Twitter talking about a band's new sound by saying they've changed or that they don't like the music, or that it's just too different for them to get into, so they stop being a fan, which is totally fine, people are allowed to do whatever they want, but I think people forget that artists are people too.

Artists go through change. They experience things just like us. They have real thoughts, feelings and emotions that are poured into these songs, and sometimes, the music's gotta change in order for them to really tell the story.

So, next time you are questioning a band's new song or new album for being "different," try listening to it a few times to decipher the messages behind the songs and see why the sound needed changing.