Best Art Deco Buildings

8 Art Deco Buildings That Come Straight Out Of 'The Great Gatsby'

The Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building aren't the only Art Deco style buildings out there.

131
Facebook / The Great Gatsby

Art deco buildings are symbolic of the roaring 1920s — think Jay Gatsby, jazz and flappers. These eight Art Deco buildings will transport you back into post Industrial Revolution and World War I America.

1. Chrysler Building

Located in Manhattan, New York, the Chrysler Building is one of the most famous Art Deco buildings in the United States. It was the world's tallest building for 11 months and is a stereotypical example of Art Deco. The exterior of the building features metal eagles, gargoyles and hubcaps. The interior features Art Deco lamps, futuristic digital clocks and slabs of exotic marble.

2. Empire State Building

The Empire State Building is also located in Manhattan, New York and is the fifth tallest building in the United States. Built in 1930, the Empire State Building features 102 floors, two observation desks and a typical Art Deco style.

3. American Radiator Building

Built in 1924, the American Radiator Building was designed by architects Raymond Hood and Andre Fouihoux. This building features an iconic black and gold facade and was a subject of Georgia O'Keeffe's painting "Radiator Building - Night, New York."

4. Carbide & Carbon Building

The Carbide & Carbon Building is located in Chicago, Illinois and is currently the St. Jane Chicago Hotel. The exterior of this building features polished black granite and gold leaf accents and was the location for Bruce Wayne's building in Gotham City.

5. Palladium House

Palladium House, formerly known as Ideal House, is an Art Deco style office building in London. The same architect who designed the American Radiator Building, Raymond Hood, also played a part in the planning of this building.

6. Richfield Tower

Richfield Tower, located in Los Angeles, California, was built between 1928 and 1929 and was the main headquarters of Richmond Oil. This building's remarkable black and gold facade was one of its most distinguishing features. However, the tower was demolished in 1969, to the dismay of many native Los Angeleans.

7. The Daily Express Building

The Daily Express Building in London served as the headquarters of the Daily Express newspaper. Its prominent black facade and rounded corners makes it a classic example of Art Deco architecture.

8. Grand Rex

The Grand Rex is a theater located in Paris, France and was built for Jacques Haik, a film manager who introduced Charlie Chaplin to France. The theater was designed so that visitors would get a feeling that they were watching a film in open air. Currently, the Grand Rex is a concert venue featuring amphitheaters and a large auditorium.