You Won't Ever Get A GF Because Your Arrogance Isn't Sexy

An in-depth response to a rather infuriating TFM article.

48
The Telegraph

A recent article on this website caught my eye one day and I decided to read through it. This article was 50 Reasons Why You'll Never Have a Girlfriend by Rachel Gedosh and I have to say, it gave me a good enough laugh that I had to check out the original TFM article it was in response to, and it is as bad as it sounds. The article in question is 50 Ways to be the Perfect College Girlfriend and the whole time I was reading it, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I decided to add in my two cents, and boy, do I have a lot more cents than two to add. To start off, let's go through and highlight some of my "favorites" from this list.

#6. "There’s nothing less sexy than insecurity. Except maybe love handles."

Oh, I had so much hope for this. That is, until I read, "Except maybe love handles." I appreciate that you are trying to get us to not be insecure about ourselves, but the subtle body shaming is an instant turn off. It's basically like me saying, "Hey babe, you're perfect in every way possible, but it's not going to work out because your six-pack went away yesterday." If you want us to get rid of those love handles, get rid of that beer belly.

#13. "Don't have annoying friends."

What exactly is your definition of annoying? And do you really expect us to drop our "annoying" friends once we meet you? In fact, our friends tend to be the best judges about guys we date. Even if we don't listen to their advice, they will still go out to buy us ice cream after a horrible breakup because that's how friendship works. Spice Girls said it best, "If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends."

#18. "It should go without saying, but be in a sorority."

It should go without saying, but don't be a dick. Girls are not all of a sudden not going to want to join a sorority just because your misogynistic self tells them too. If anything, most might want to stay away from Greek life so that they won't have to meet you.

#20. "Don't look like you just rolled out of bed in class."

I will look however I want to look like. All bets are off after I spend 10 hours last night on an essay that's due at 8am. Oh, and quick question, are those Chubbies, or boxer shorts? Sorry, it's hard to tell sometimes.

#28. "Eventually we’re going to ask you for a threesome. Either accept or divert our attention with a blowjob. No tantrum necessary."

Translation: you're either down, or you're not down, but still owe me a blowjob because I wasted my time asking you. Want to know a little secret? Not everyone is down with threesomes, myself included. I will spend my time looking for the guy who would like to be intimate with me and only me, thank you very much. TBH, I will be the one to throw the tantrum.

#33. "Make sure our dog likes you."

Refer to number 13. Even our dogs can be the best judges of our new boyfriends sometimes.

#39 and #40. "If you ask us how many people we’ve had sex with, you can’t get mad at the answer. Ignorance is bliss." "Lie about how many people you’ve had sex with."

Basically, you are telling us that you can be truthful about how many people you have slept with and expect us to not get mad, but we have to lie about our sexual history so you don't get mad. Ignorance sure is bliss. Especially when you are being the ignorant one.

#42. "We hate condoms, and everyone hates abortions. You’re a grown up now, it’s time to get on the pill."

My personal favorite on this list, in all honesty, for many reasons. Let me break this argument down in a way that you will hopefully understand. 1.) Condoms not only help avoid unwanted pregnancies, they also help prevent the spread of STDs. 2.) The only thing that birth control does is avoid unwanted pregnancies. It does nothing to prevent the spread of STDs, which is most commonly spread through the exchange of bodily fluids. 3.) Most condoms nowadays are lubricated which help for easy insertion because most vaginas don't produce enough natural lubrication alone. Who isn't all for an easy insertion? 4.) You're a grown man, kind of, it's time to stop being a baby and put on that latex.

#43 and #44. "Look good naked." "Realize #43 applies to the entire relationship, not just the beginning."

Body shaming. Simple as that. Refer to #6 for a further explanation.

I could sit here all day and roast the author about his entire article, but nobody wants to sit and read all of that. Instead, I am going to start talking to all my ladies out there.

Dating a new boy can be exciting a fun, I totally get that. However, I know some of you will start believing him once he starts telling you things sending the message that you are not good enough for him. If you start to get that vibe from him, run as fast as you can. You will only end up hating yourself and turn into someone you don't even recognize anymore. I've been down that road before, and it isn't worth it. You are beautiful and badass just the way you are and you will find someone who loves you for you.

Now to the author, you obviously feel very entitled to attempt to try and make up criteria about how to be the perfect girlfriend. Whether this was supposed to be a joke or not, it was still very much a lapse in judgment. Sure, you may take it as me overreacting, but I will continue to overreact to misogyny because I am through with it. I am through will men like you who think they can tell girls who they can and cannot be. I get that you're trying to pass off some cool guy image that all girls will fawn over, but you're just coming off as arrogant, and arrogance isn't sexy.