6 Reasons Arming Teachers Is An Objectively TERRIBLE Idea

One time, an English teacher I had in high school got so mad at a student for misbehaving she threw a book at him...what if that teacher was armed?

256
Unsplash

I know it's been some time since the Parkland shooting and I'm kind of late to the party with this one, but I feel like I still needed to put this out there and have it be said. I've heard people talk in opposition to this idea, but not nearly enough and the support for this idea is shocking.

In response to the shooting, many people jumped to the notion that arming teachers would be a good idea to prevent another shooting. I'm just going to keep it real here: that's an objectively terrible idea. And here's why.

1. Teachers aren't paid enough already, so why would they want to work and train as both security and teachers?

Teachers are already underpaid - the teachers in my high school would constantly complain about how they didn't receive enough. In fact, schools in West Virginia and Oklahoma have been closed for several days because of teacher walkouts. In these walkouts, teachers are striking and protesting for an increase in their salary, and claiming that they aren't being paid enough.

Why would these same teachers want to engage in security training and spend more of their time learning how to handle a gun if they don't even have enough money to put food on the table for their family?

2. Some teachers don't even have enough in their budget to get supplies for class, but now they'll have enough to get guns?

I remember in my high school in my culinary class my teacher would always complain about how she couldn't buy all the ingredients she needed for our class because her budget mandated by the school wasn't enough. If teachers like these and the ones in West Virginia and Oklahoma don't have enough money in their allocated budgets for supplies for their own classes, where are we bringing in money to arm them with guns? Are the teachers themselves responsible for purchasing them? Because they sure won't be happy with that.

3. So, are teachers just going to walk around with guns now?

Imagine the learning environment the classroom would become if you knew your teacher had a gun with him/her. Not a good one, that's for sure. The thought of me being in high school surrounded by teachers who are concealing firearms fills me with fear. Going to school would be more torture than it already was because I and other students would have niggling doubts in our head. Like, what if a teacher just got so mad and you knew they had a gun with them? That's nightmare fuel.

One time, an English teacher I had in high school got so mad at a student for misbehaving she threw a book at him; what if that teacher was armed?

4. If these guns aren't carefully accounted for, kids could gain access to them

If the teachers weren't extremely careful with their gun at all times and making sure it was either with them at all times or locked up safely, a potential school shooter could have access to a free gun. While Trump and others are arguing to raise the age to purchase a gun to 21, in this case, any individual at any age could get a gun if teachers didn't properly account for their weapon. It's a nightmare waiting to happen for the one day a teacher accidentally leaves their weapon at the desk, and a potential school shooter decides to take a free gun. This could also be the case for ammo, if not carefully contained.

5. If a person did come to shoot up the school, teachers would automatically become the number one target

If school shooters know that the school they are going to has armed teachers, it makes the "game" for them easier. Because they already know who to take out first. These poor teachers who would have spent time training and learning how to use a gun will be knocked out first by the shooter because the shooter knows the teachers are there to protect the students. It's just putting a target on the teachers.

6. They are teachers, first and foremost

These are teachers we're talking about. Their primary job is to teach, not to defend and use a firearm. Are they really the people we want to be armed? I had several unstable teachers in my schools growing up, teachers who would break down or get incredibly angry at their students and teachers who were known alcoholics. Would I really feel safer if I knew these people were armed? I seriously doubt it.

What if instead of arming teachers we had a designated security force at schools? Unlike teachers, these people are trained specifically for their job and know what to do. A solution on how to stop these shootings needs to be found and implemented, but arming teachers is not a viable solution in my eyes.