Arming Teachers Is Just Another Dangerously Terrible Idea That Will Place More Kids In Harm's Way

After grieving over an eruption of mass shootings, more guns are the last thing we need.

369
Pixabay/ Skullman

Gun control is a very controversial topic highlighted in the media for the past couple of years due to an eruption of terrible mass shootings, such as the 2016 PULSE nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012, the Aurora Movie Theater shooting in Colorado at the premier of "The Dark Knight Rises." And the most recent: Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida.

Yet we still say, "This could have never happened here," and "I can't believe it," but over and over again, we are shown that the risk of a massive shooting can occur whenever and wherever. Instead of sending condolences because of mass shootings, we need to find a way to restrict the amount of guns circulating the consumer market for easy access, because this is where the threat initially forms. Instead of saying sorry, let's start to act and promote change. If you believe this is a true issue, don't say sorry — say, "No, not again."

SEE ALSO: 5 Ways You Can Personally Help The Victims Of Parkland, Florida's School Shooting

We need to band together as a nation, just as we did for all of the previous shootings. I firmly believe that we are not a part of a nation that just sits back and mourns. We are a global leading power that is not afraid to use our Constitutional given rights to promote change and advance. Together we have fought to end slavery, equalize genders and expand the definition of love, so we, too, can fix gun control.

But, the answer does not lie in arming teachers.

I understand that protecting children is a top priority when it comes to dealing with school shootings, but placing guns within the hands of those who are meant to teach is a terrible idea. We are essentially changing the playing field from having guns in the hands of soldiers and officers, those trained to kill and strict to law, to guns being in the hands of civilians who not properly trained and are subject to bias.

We commonly forget that we are only human, and with being a human comes with human flaws and human mistakes. We are not perfect nor perfectly unbias, therefore we can not expect a teacher to be perfect in conduct or with execution when armed.

This was exemplified by the attitude of Arizona teacher Bonnie Verne, who stated on Twitter that the solution to immigration shouldn't be deportation; it should be their death. Similarly, Dayanna Volitich, a Florida public school teacher who was found to have recorded a white nationalist podcast, suggested that Muslims should be completely eradicated, and she also promoted anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.

In northern California, Dennis Alexander, a high school teacher with an armed weapon fired it in class, injuring three students. Events such as these continue and draw on, showing the danger that guns are in real life, nevertheless in classrooms near children.

Guns are a threat, an innovation meant to kill. Placing more threats in schools when threats are a large fear already is not healthy for society nor students. Those who may be a threat to society and become future shooters would only have greater access to obtain a gun by stealing one from a teacher at school. Guns are high risks to everyone present around them, so why even risk their safety?

In order to truly feel protected, schools shouldn't harden their walls and showcase the front of being a fierce, strong institution to deflect drive off shootings; it should be the opposite. Schools should become more soft, more caring towards the students and stop those who are at risk of becoming potential shooters at the first signs exhibited. Tend to those with mental health issues, focus on individuals who may have dangerous tendencies and stop risks as they grow, not when they create.

SEE ALSO: To Marco Rubio And Politicians Paid By The NRA, We Will Stop Your Game Of Russian Roulette With Gun Control

Some teachers have been found taking massively inappropriate actions on the job, such as raping students and conducting wide-scale cheating scandals, so adding guns into the mix can only increase classroom danger. Anger affects everyone in different ways and placing guns in the hands of teachers highlights this risk. One "off day" could lead to the shooting of a student. Is this how we want to manage our education system?

I suppose the answer lies in whether we choose for the legislation to arm teachers to be passed or not. But until then, I suppose we should continue to be scared, continue to grieve and continue to rewind our recorded condolences for the next mass shooting.