Why Ariana Grande's "I Hate America" Joke Is Irrelevant To The Manchester Tragedy

A senseless attempt to stir up political debate.

116
Visit Manchester

The news of the Manchester attack came as a devastating shock. For fans at the concert, every one expected a stress free night where they would be able to see one of their favorite performers, and instead it became a ruthless attack on innocent victims.

At a time like this, we as a society should be spreading our love and grief to everyone affected. We should be aiming our attention and efforts at preventing evil acts and on the victims. This is why I was sickened when I started seeing things like the picture below start to spread across the web. Not to mention, this was almost immediately after the incident before some people even expressed any grief.

I'm sorry, but this old comment is not in any way, shape, or form related to the horrific incident. To say that it is, is absolutely awful and disturbing because it insinuates that what happened in Manchester was her fault, or "karma" from Ariana Grande's "I Hate America" joke. First of all, the attack took place in Manchester and not America so it doesn't even make sense. Furthermore this is old and was taken completely out of context (by people who probably didn't even watch what happened); I'm not by any means justifying her statement, but it wasn't even a public, serious statement. It was something she said in what I took as a very joking manner while at a donut shop with her (at the time) significant other after seeing the new donuts the shop displayed. She licked the donuts too after being dared which seems like it should be a bigger statement than the statement, but that's besides the point.

She wasn't broadcasting this statement to the world and trying to "send a message" about the way she feels about the country....I think we've all joked around before and said some things in private that we would all receive backlash for. Before writing this, I actually went back and reviewed the old video footage of this statement that blew up just to make sure I wasn't forgetting something...I wasn't; it was about donuts for crying out loud.

She has the means and resources to live wherever she wants, so I'm sure if she really "hated" America, she would've left a while ago. But again, I can't even believe that I'm having to write about this after what happened. The families affected are what's truly important and the fact that people are turning it into this type of "bound to happen" and political agenda thing based on her comment is bizarre and senseless. Imagine a victims family member or concert attendees having to see a photo like that being shared...look at the bigger picture people.

It's time we start reaching out a helping hand and directing our energy in a positive manner rather than creating something that actually just looks like an opportunity to stir up even more hatred. What occurred in Manchester is way bigger, and deserves way more attention, than these petty assertions. From now on, more media and conversation should be directed towards victims of tragedies instead of creating absurd ideas, or even constantly discussing who was responsible for the attack.

Time and time again when things like this occur, we hear and learn more about the evil responsible than we do about those whose lives were stolen from them. Sure, it's a big step to find out how an attack occurred and identify terrorists, but once that happens why continue to even give them air time? It fuels the fire and drives egos; I'm sure they disgustingly enjoy all the attention it brings to their name. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather hear about the legacy and beautiful faces of those affected than about anything else.

If anyone involved has came across something like this, I'm truly sorry that you've had to deal with it because no one can possibly begin to imagine what you're going through, and irrelevant things like this clearly set the importance aside. I promise you there are caring people out there who are not belittling what happened, and we wish nothing but love and comfort your way.