Are You An Introvert? The Creative Life Of An Introvert

“I am rarely bored alone; I am often bored in groups and crowds.” -- Laurie Helgoe (Credit: Introvert Spring)

99
PX Here

I can’t quite figure out why anyone would want to leave the comfort of their own homes. Oh, wait. I know. People that are social butterflies who enjoy the company of others, especially in a social outing. I happen to be an introvert. I prefer to stay at home, curl up on the couch, and read a freaking good book to which I can close my eyes and disappear into the fantastical world the author has created. American Psychologist Laurie Helgoe said on Psychology Today that she was like the many “whose personality confers on them a preference for the inner world of their own mind rather than the outer world of sociability.”

Many writers and creators are considered introverts.

The Apple computer idea came to life by an introvert, Steve Wozniak, and the incredible world of wizardry in the Harry Potter series by author and fellow introvert, J.K. Rowling. Those who are introverts can create incredible worlds in their minds or can come up with out-of-the-box ideas that can innovate and change the world. However, for our creativity to soar, we tend to spend more time alone. In my case, I have an incredibly loud, rambunctious home with children running amok and the dog chasing the husband around during play time. This chaotic setting makes it incredibly difficult for me to concentrate on my projects. Susan Cain said on CNN.com, “When psychologists look at the lives of the most creative people, they almost always find a serious streak of introversion because solitude is a crucial ingredient for creativity.”

In my home, the only times I have peace to escape the pressures of social interactions is by taking a shower or going to sleep, and neither one gives me the capabilities to write my stories or thoughts. Even in the shower, my thoughts are interrupted by rogue children wondering “what I’m doing.” -- Uh, I’m naked, and the water is running. What do you think I’m doing? -- This form of interruption also seems to happen while I’m sitting on the toilet. I’m sure a few of you parents have had similar intrusions. The funnier times are when I’m typing away, engrossed in my writing, and my husband’s sitting down watching television. The children will bypass him, interrupt me, only to say that they are getting a drink of water or something as earth shattering as that.

Sigh.

Most parents understand what I’m talking about. What I like to do when this situation arises is to immerse myself in music. I wear a headset when I am writing so that I can block out the background noise. For birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays, I ask for time away. I would be the weird one that would ask for a foreign trip to another country just to sit on the balcony overlooking the beautiful landscape to read or write. Worst case scenario, I’d like a hotel room down the street so that I can have some time alone. By having alone time, an introvert is “drawn to ideas and concepts, and are able to explore these freely in solitude” (Helgoe 2013).

The best part about being an introvert is the ability to be creative. The exciting world of our imagination. The ability to come up with so many fun ideas and then seeing them little by little come to fruition. I’m also obsessed with a world other authors create. If you aren’t sure whether you are an introvert or extrovert, take this simple quiz, which will help you determine where your personality lies. By knowing, you may be able to find out why your personality tends to be different than others or why you happen to get along so well with someone so much like you.

References and Resources

Helgoe, Laurie A. Introvert power: why your inner life is your hidden strength. ser. 2, Sourcebooks, 2013.