So, What Happened To Thanksgiving?

So, What Happened To Thanksgiving?

Now that Halloween is over and November has officially commenced, it seems that people have already entered the holiday season. Christmas is a great time of year, but are we forgetting about Thanksgiving?

3
So, What Happened To Thanksgiving?
The Oakdale Post

The day after Halloween, something occurred that has not in the past, Christmas began even earlier than normal. Usually Starbucks seasonal beverages ring in the new seasons; however, this year, people started celebrating Christmas even before they had their hands on a White Peppermint Mocha. The holiday season is amazing, but now Thanksgiving is getting pushed to the side. People went from eating candy corn to eating candy canes without having some pumpkin pie and a turkey dinner in between. Christmas is a great time of year, some may even say the most wonderful time of the year; however, is the beginning of November really the time for Christmas?

I love Christmas just as much as anybody else – probably even more if this is a competition. My Christmas tree has been up since November 2018 and will most likely remain up forever. Christmas music is a common occurrence when I am listening to music and I have Christmas charms on my crocs year-round. Christmas is a holiday that I enjoy celebrating regardless of the time of year, and yet, watching people skip over Thanksgiving seems like a sin.

I completely understand that everybody enjoys the holiday season. The lights and tinsel, decorating houses and overall feeling of happiness in the air is something that makes the cold winter months a little more bearable; however, this does not need to be something exclusive to Christmastime. Every holiday is special in its own way – snowflakes, all uniquely amazing. Christmas is especially special because of all the bells and whistles that come along with it. People are more cheerful, festive and excited during the holiday season, but that still does not justify starting celebrations two months before Christmas day.

People all over have already started counting down the days till Christmas. This year, people are not going to be singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas" or watching Twenty Five Days of Christmas movie marathons? Instead, the latest song, 54 Days of Christmas, will be topping the charts. There is nothing wrong with stretching the holiday season earlier than normal, but people need to realize two things. Firstly, Thanksgiving is not dead – it still exists and should be celebrated as so. Most importantly though, the spirit and excitement surrounding Christmas should not be exclusive to the holiday season. When the clock hits 12 am on November 1st, there should not be a complete shift in your mood, rather you should try to continue the cheerful spirit associated with the holiday season throughout the entire year. If you love the holidays so much, why stop bringing "Joy to the World" after Santa goes down the chimney?

I am not in any way trying to hate on people who have already decorated for Christmas – technically I never took down my decorations from last year. Yet, I wanted to remind you of another holiday that should not go extinct by any means, Thanksgiving. While you are out here singing "Jingle Bells" and setting up your Christmas trees, remember that the fourth Thursday of November is not only 27 days before Christmas but also a holiday too. Try to spread the wealth between both holidays – you can have some gingerbread and candy canes but eat some stuffing and turkey too.