We Are Still Reacting To Sexual Assault Completely Wrong

Victim blaming is turning into victim punishment in the form of defamation lawsuits

18

In 2013, Taylor Swift spoke out about a meet-and-greet gone wrong. A radio DJ for KYGO Radio asked to take a picture with Swift. She reveals that he reached under her skirt (without consent) and actually “grabbed” her “ass” (without consent).

The assault later caused David Meuller to be fired from his job. However, Meuller denies any such groping and/or assault happened at all.

Swift released the photograph that was taken at the moment Meuller touched her, even though she did not have to.

Meuller’s response, two years later, was to sue Swift, her mother (Andrea Swift) and the radio promotion director, Frank Bell, for up to $3 million (but settling on $257,500 near the end of the trial process) for defamation (which means, “damaging the good reputation of someone”).

Swift filed a countersuit against Meuller, except not for any financial gain (she only filed the suit for $1.00) or reason other than to stand up for herself and be a voice for other victims of sexual assault.

Monday, August 14, a jury in Denver reached a verdict, in favor of Swift, and found that her mother and Bell were not held liable either.

Swift has, in the past, received backlash for remaining silent on matters she has claimed to feel strongly about. Yet, to me, this countersuit speaks louder than any tweet or public statement she could ever make. She has even faced criticism for offering Kesha Sebert some financial support during Sebert’s own case against her producer, Dr. Luke (Lukasz Gottwald).

Fans felt that Swift was “throwing money” at the situation instead of helping, however, Sebert and her mother both thanked Swift and were overwhelmed with gratitude for the gesture.

After Swift won her countersuit, she not only acknowledged how expensive the entire legal battle was but also how “privileged” she is to be able to pay for such a case.

Swift has shared that she will be donating to as many organizations as possible that help other victims of sexual assault and abuse to pay for their own legal pursuits in order to gain justice and closure.

That, in my opinion, is a beautiful gesture on Swift’s part because without those donations, perpetrators will continue to act entitled to women and their bodies, and more people will become victims.

Along with Swift, Sebert (as mentioned before), was also sued for defamation by her producer, Lukasz Gottwald, after Sebert tried to sue him for sexual assault and abuse on multiple occasions. Kesha wanted to back out of her contract with her attacker but was denied.

Kesha Sebert and her mother (Pebe Sebert) have both been fairly outspoken throughout the heartbreaking trial and process, along with gaining national attention, overwhelming support from the public and an outpour of support from other celebrities, such as Lady Gaga and, ironically, Taylor Swift.

Kesha just released her new album, “Rainbow”, and it finally sounds like she is able to share her story, despite still being linked to Dr. Luke’s label.

I bring these two cases up because it appears that this society has made very little advances in how we react to cases such as these.

Taylor Swift did not even initially file any lawsuits or actions against Meuller for the nonconsensual groping, however, he felt entitled enough to blame her for losing his job and his “good” reputation. Her $1.00 countersuit was quite the statement to make against Meuller’s alleged “innocence”.

Kesha Sebert had to essentially give up on her case against Dr. Luke and the ongoing abuse and sexual assault she endured from him so that she could focus on the lawsuit regarding her contract.

If you think that how we talk about assault against people and sexual misconduct of any kind is actually progressing, then I am very sorry to tell you, but that notion is completely misguided, ignorant and downright wrong.

Turn your attention to Paris Hilton (I would rather not, but it must be done).

This past week she was asked in an interview with Marie Claire about the (unfortunate) President of the United States, Donald Trump, and her thoughts of him as a person and a president.

Hilton expressed that she has known Trump since she was a child and that he has never been anything but kind to her. She even considers them to be friends.

That’s all fine because who am I to say who Paris Hilton can and cannot be friends with?

Except, the interview kept going and it only got worse.

According to Hilton, the women who came forward with allegations against Trump for sexual assault were solely seeking “attention and fame”.

But wait, there’s more, unfortunately.

Hilton also believes that Trump’s infamous “grab ‘em by the pussy” line was just Trump talking with “the guys” and he didn’t mean what he said.

Hilton is quoted as saying, “I’ve heard guys say some pretty crazy things. Like, worse than that. So I think that when someone doesn’t realize they’re being filmed or recorded, they say things. Especially with a guy…”

OK, so basically if you are a male and are being recorded with the knowledge that you are being recorded; then we should believe that what is said is the truth?

Are you also as confused as I am?

I understand that this is one person’s opinion in a much bigger issue, but the issue itself is not complex. We make it out to be complex.

If we shrug off every high-profile allegation against a celebrity or wealthy person, then every case afterward is going to become harder to persecute. We have already seen victim blaming play the key role in these cases and somehow, that continues.

Not only does victim blaming continue, but also now we are seeing victims being sued for tarnishing the perpetrator’s reputation. As if that victim had not been through enough, they also must endure a legal battle for speaking out against such horrible actions.

And, these are just the high profile cases we are seeing, because they involve celebrities. Imagine the lesser known cases and how difficult a defamation suit must be to counter-sue?

This is becoming more about victim punishment than blaming, and it is making me utterly perplexed, angry and sick to my stomach.