Approaching New Territory

Approaching New Territory

College in the midst of a pandemic.

4
Approaching New Territory
https://barnimages.com/bookshelf/

As I am sure many others have, I have been ritualistically checking my emails for updates on what the upcoming Fall semester of school will look like. Where my classes have been "under review", they are now shown as all hybrid, and one remote class.

Now, this could have been worse (in the sense that I want my classes to be in person), but what I was most amused by, and the least surprised by, was that my tuition bill for the Fall semester remained the same.

Do I understand that the pandemic is not the fault of the universities? Yes. But are prices for in person, versus online classes different? Also yes.

I would not be so frustrated by this if the quality of education was remaining the same for students, but as I can vouch for myself and others I have spoken with, the virtual portion of the past Spring semester resulted in learning essentially nothing new.

As someone who takes my education very seriously, it is frustrating to see mediocre, or less than, effort on the parts of some professors. These times could not have been predicted, and we have not experienced anything like this before, but it is a call to universities and the professors representing them to be creative, and problem solve.

I am hopeful that the summer provided ample time for more successful plans to be put into place as we approach the start of school. For those of you whose classes are entirely online, if you are paying the same as in person classes, say something. You have a voice. My thoughts are with all of you as we approach the start of a new school year.