Just a little something special to my special little someone

Here's To Being In Love With Your Best Friend

From friends, to best friends, to boyfriend/girlfriend, to soulmates. Just a little appreciation for that special someone.

896

Isn't it crazy to think that there are over seven billion people in the world and one of them could be your potential soulmate? It blows my mind every time I think about how lucky I am to have been able to find my special someone. I found my best friend and my soulmate all in one and I couldn't be happier.

After a tough breakup, I know it can be hard to put yourself out there again. Or even if you put yourself out there repeatedly, you give up hope because that special person never comes along. Fortunately, I believe that everyone has more than one soulmate, so don't give up and keep putting yourself out there!

There are so many circumstances in which love doesn't seem like it is easy to find. If you had asked me at the beginning of my relationship if I thought he was the one, I would have said no. Yes, I liked him. Yes, he made me happy. Yes, he was always there for me. Yes, he was funny. And yes, he was attractive. But love takes times, as I'm sure everyone is aware. There were definitely little hints along the way that illustrated to me what a catch he was but I still definitely wasn't aware. It just hits you one day, that not only do you love him but that you want to be with him forever.

Looking back, I can tell that no one thought it would happen. It was the classic story of we were "too young" and had our "whole lives ahead of us." We were in high school at the time and still had the rest of our lives to experience. We had our fair share of ups and downs but in the end, I wouldn't change a thing.

Let me give you a little insight into how I knew I found the one. This might be a little too much for some of you, in terms of mushiness, so just beware!

1. I was unbelievably comfortable with him.

From the beginning of our relationship, I was comfortable with anything and everything. I could completely bawl in front of him, complete with an ugly, red, crying face and snot running down into my mouth. We would fart in front of each other and just laugh. Now don't get me wrong, sometimes his farts were too much and I yelled at him, but for the most part, we laughed it off and made fun of each other. I could pee in front of him and not feel self-conscious about it. He could be brushing his teeth in the bathroom and I could easily walk in and pee without feeling embarrassed. A tough issue for me when we first started dating was admitting to him that I struggled with depression. He didn't give me the typical response of "You'll be okay" or "You'll get over it" but he made sure I was always okay with whatever the situation was. I could name a million other examples but all in all, I was completely at ease with him in all aspects.

2. He always made sure I was safe.

While some people might find this a little "extra," I loved it. Whenever we would go somewhere, we would text the other "I left." We would always tell each other where we were going, not in a creepy stalker way or not in an overly jealous way, but just to make sure the other was safe. We would tell the other when we left and when we arrived. If I had to be honest though, I forgot to do it more often than not. I would be two minutes away from my destination before I remembered to text him. Furthermore, whenever he would drop me off, he would always wait until I made it into the house and the garage closed behind me before he would leave. The first time this happened, it really threw me off. No one ever waited to make sure I was inside safely before, not even my parents! I thought it was the cutest thing. Similarly enough, whenever I would leave his house, he would stand outside and wait for my car to disappear from the street completely before he would head on inside.

3. He was always there for me.

I'm sure you all read this and went "Duh!" However, it was more than the typical text asking me if I was okay or just making sure I was safe. I have had a long struggle with depression and even a tough relationship with my parents and he took it all in stride. He made sure he was always reachable, from coming over if I needed him to leave his ringer on at night so he could quickly answer a phone call during my late night meltdowns. If it was my time of the month and I even hinted at craving something, he would go and pick it up and surprise me. It's not always doing the little things but it's going above and beyond. Whenever I'm sick and stuck in bed with a fever and wanting to cry for feeling crappy, he would come right on over and climb right in bed with me. He would hold me and rub my back and play with my hair until I fell asleep. He was never scared of my "cooties" or germs, he didn't care whatsoever and just helped me.

4. He helped me with anything and everything.

Unfortunately for me, I struggle with math. My entire senior year, I struggle with statistics (A.K.A fake math) and he tutored me. He helped me with every single homework assignment, every single take-home quiz, and every single lesson. He would take hours out of his day to sit down with me and teach me whatever I didn't understand, never mind the fact that he took statistics three years before that. Additionally, back in high school, my parents made me pick up my brother every day. Sometimes I would be worried about not getting there in time and he would volunteer to go pick him up for me. If my parents took my care and I didn't have a ride to/home from school or work, he would go out of his way to get me.

Essentially, I think the point that I am emphasizing is that he went above and beyond for me. Everyone talks about how "it's the little things" and it really is. It means everything to have your significant other take care of you. A relationship doesn't mean giving up your freedom or having the other control you but rather, sharing and give and take. Yes, I can take care of myself and handle everything myself but the point is that I don't have to. I have a shoulder to lean on. I have someone who will always willingly and selflessly help me. I have someone who knows me better than I know myself. And in the end, if things don't work out and we don't work out, I will always look back and cherish the memories. I will always look back and know what it feels like to be in love and to have someone care for you more than you care about yourself.

So that my special someone and all the other special someones out there, thank you!