Indie Queens: Appreciation For Indivituality In The Music Scene

Melanie Martinez, Marina & The Diamonds and Grimes for example.

113

We always seem to hear so much about the mainstream queens in the music industry -- Selena Gomez, Rihanna, Demi Lovato and Taylor Swift. Now, don't get me wrong, I love me some T-Swift like no other, but what about the artists who are working on their next move behind the scenes? The artists who are more low-key about establishing their creative abilities? I think it's fair to say that the Indie Queens deserve some recognition -- all involving their unique talents and eccentric styles. Besides, they always end up delivering something exciting and unique. These are a few of them.

Marina & The Diamonds

Marina is a Welsh singer-songwriter who started off on BBC's Sound of 2010. From there, the adorably unique singer dropped her album "The Family Jewels," which she says "incorporates indie pop and new wave musical styles." She also claims that her fashion style is "surreal and '70s." Cool, right? Popular hits from the singer are "How To Be A Heartbreaker," "Primadonna" and "Froot." I've personally be a fan of Marina since 2012 when I was listening to -- none other than the infamous -- Lana Del Rey.

Melanie Martinez

Queen of all things adorable and child-like, Melanie Martinez just knows how to make the "baby-esque" thing work without seeming annoying or weird. I mean, she is weird, but in the best way possible and she knows how to pull it off while inventing her own unique style.

Melanie, now 21, started off doing YouTube videos of her singing, but most of them were her own songs that she had written. She eventually ended up on "The Voice," and after being voted off, the singer didn't stop there. She's gone off to drop albums such as "Cry Baby" and has won over the hearts of equally weird girls who can appreciate her sense of style. I dig it.

Grimes

Grimes, whose real name is Claire Elise Boucher, is a multi-talented, underrated indie starlet. She is a singer, songwriter, music video director and a record producer. How awesome is that? More popular singles from Grimes that are more likely to be heard are "Genesis" and "Oblivion."

Lucky for Grimes, critics and journalists have claimed that her music comes from a wide variety of influences, including electronica, pop, hip-hop, R&B, experimental and medieval music -- medieval music? Certainly, this is an artist that is worth giving a try and finding out what she is all about.

Lana Del Rey

I couldn't not add Lana to this list of underdog women in music. Oh, Lana. I feel like a lot of people know who Lana Del Rey is, but so many people -- and I mean so many people -- do not. I've literally asked people if they know who she is and they have no clue. Well, for the realm of people who do not know much about Lana, let me fill you in.

Lana Del Rey, a.k.a., Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, has undergone many different stage names throughout her career. Finally settling on exotic stage name Lana Del Rey, she unleashed her incredibly unique and fresh style, ranging from indie pop, to dream pop and baroque pop. She is best known for her themes of tragic romance and melancholia, as well as making references in her songs to pop culture. Just give a listen to her hit "Summertime Sadness."

St. Vincent

St. Vincent, a.k.a., one of the few women who can pull of grey hair and look gorgeous. You've seen her make cameos on TV shows such as "Portlandia," and yet, we know so little about this eccentric talented beauty. Personally, I think St. Vincent -- whose real name is Annie Clark -- deserves more recognition than she gets. Have you heard her songs "Cruel," "Digital Witness" or "Birth In Reverse"? She has also collaborated and done work with the bands Sufjan Stevens and Bon Iver, and is also a talented multi-instrumentalist. In interviews, Annie comes off as cool, collected,extremely weird, but in the most awesome way possible, and intelligent.

Sky Ferriera

That pout, though. I feel like a lot of people forget that Sky is a talented singer, as she is a talented model and actress. As a teenager, Sky began posting videos up on Myspace of herself singing (oh, the Myspace days) which eventually led her to the discovery of two producers. From there on out, she started recording music, which is described as electropop and dance music. Her popular single, "You're Not the One," delves into a more synthpop, indie-rock sort of style. Sky has gone on tour with more mainstream artists such as Miley Cyrus, but I personally think she needs to be heard by more people.

LOLAWOLF

Double threat Zoe Kravitz, a.k.a., LOLAWOLF, isn't just a singer in her super rad band, but is an actress too. With catchy songs such as "Drive," the American R&B / electropop band deserves as much appreciation as more mainstream groups. I'm surprised LOLAWOLF isn't as popular, considering Zoe Kravitz co-stars in the popular "Divergent" films and is the daughter of famous musician Lenny Kravitz. LOLAWOLF is a kickass band and I'm hooked.