To The App That Gave Life Meme-ing

To The App That Gave Life Meme-ing

Long live Vine!

225
Flickr

It has been two years since the death of Vine. But just because the app is dead, does not mean that its legacy has not carried on. All one has to do is search for vine compilations to see that Vine’s death has not killed our dreams. There are countless videos of the best vines compiled together for anyone to enjoy. Ask any of my friends, and they will tell you that Vine is my life.

I quote my favorites daily, binge-watch them as if they were a TV show on Netflix, and can pull up any vine in a just a few seconds. I have even saved my favorite vines to my phone’s camera roll, that way I can always have them. Vine is my life, and I am still finding vines I have never seen before. My YouTube Watch Later playlist is filled with countless vine compilations. Some I’ve seen multiple times, and some I have yet to watch.

My absolute favorite is “Vines that butter my eggroll.” But here are a few others that I thoroughly enjoy:

here, here, here, and here. *Rated PG-13 as there are strong language and content not suited for children.*

As I was writing this article, I was hit with nostalgia and spent nearly an hour watching vines, perusing their website, and contently laughing to myself. So be warned, watching vines can be addicting and lead to a serious waste of time, well to some it's a waste of time. The hardest part of being a Vine addict is that none of my friends get my references, except for a select few. But that does not stop me from saying my favorites out loud. They already assume it’s a vine. Vines remind me of high school and the memories I made there, which might be a reason why I can’t let go of them. But it could also be because I love them, and they will never NOT be funny.

In December of last year, the creators of Vine showed off a design for Vine 2, called v2. Now, as a passionate Vine fan, I was ecstatic. But there has not been any news since then. Except for this article that just says that it will still be a while for the app to be released. That doesn’t stop me from being excited to see where this new vine-like app is going and when it will be released. It’s a Vine-lover’s dream. If only there were more concrete details to go off.

Vine was the most innocent app. Sure, there was bad language, but these six-second videos made the world happy. Plus, it gave countless people an outlet to expand their brand and get their name out in the world. There were a ton of YouTube stars that started out on Vine, and some actors, and media personalities. Vine was all about the laughs and brightening peoples’ days. And even though the app has since been terminated, the happiness continues on in our hearts... and YouTube.