An Apology Letter From Your Typical American Christian

We have failed to love like Christ has called us to love.

6
Autumn Hale

Dear non-Christians,

I owe you an apology because I, along with most other “Christians,” am a pro at pointing out your flaws and wrongdoings. What I’ve been poor at is leading you in the right direction and showing you what it means to live a life God called us to live. I totally understand now why Christians are labeled as hypocrites. You’re right, many of us are. God himself warns His followers in Matthew 7: 1-5 (MSG), “Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults--unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt? It’s this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.” Only one who has grieved and has been humbled over their own sin may bring attention to the sins of others . Even so, we are not to do so pridefully. God calls us to speak the truth in love. Too many Christians miss this point.

The fact of the matter is, Christian or non-Christian, we all sin. What I need to realize is that labeling myself as a Christian does not justify my sins, nor does it make me a better person than anyone else.

We live in a world now that is accepting of all things. This includes abortion, homosexuality, transgender individuals, so on and so forth. I see videos of Christians standing on street corners outside of abortion clinics with poster boards yelling, “You’re a murderer” and “You’re going to hell." I hear groups of people murmuring together about a boy who has the same interests as a girl. I’ll admit, I have been a Christian guilty of shunning these people as well. Thankfully, my eyes have been opened.

Dear Christians,

Don’t get me wrong, these things that are happening are things of the world, not of God. They aren’t right, but neither are our actions toward them. I have a few things for you to really think about...

If we continue what we’re doing, how do we expect this land to flourish again? Right now, all people are seeing from us is hatred and anger. What would happen if we all poured out the kind of love to others that Christ poured out on us? That's our calling anyway. Would we see revival?

Here’s a reminder of what love looks like from 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 (MSG), “Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have. Love doesn’t strut, doesn't have a swelled head, doesn’t force itself on others, isn’t ‘me first,’ doesn’t fly off the handle, doesn’t keep score of the sins of others, doesn't revel when others grovel, take pleasure in the flowering of truth, puts up with anything, trusts God always, always looks for the best, never looks back, but keeps going to the end."

Christians, I challenge you to love. Non-Christians, I’m sorry that this apology is long overdue, but I ask that you give us one more shot. We have not been loving like Christ loves us.