The Truth About Anxiety, From Someone Who Knows It TOO Well

It doesn't have to be your whole life.

1083

It was a year ago today that I had my first real anxiety attack. Before that I kind of figured I had social anxiety.

Because I always worried my friends didn't actually like me, afraid I had said the wrong thing, or someone could sense how awkward I felt when I hugged them goodbye, or spent hours awake at night thinking about something weird I had done years ago.

I figured the slight panic attacks I had when I was running late to work, or if I couldn't remember if I remembered to turn the stove off or lock the door was just a mild case of OCD or something. I brushed it all off, until I realized anxiety was causing all of this.

But it wasn't until last year that I knew I had a bad case of anxiety all around. I had convinced myself that my medical records pointed to something being wrong with me and I made myself sick from worrying. Every symptom I had - nausea, stomach cramps, migraines etc. were all in my head, caused by my anxiety, but my anxiety was telling me it was something else. Something serious.

I had crying spells, and then one night at family dinner, we were having my favorite, manicotti. I couldn't finish it I was so nauseous. I placed my fork down and ran to my room. That's when it started. I was crying and hyperventilating and it felt like I had pins in needles in my face, hands, and feet. This only worried me more, so my entire body began shaking. My mom came up to check on me and knew what was happening because she has the same problem. These spells happened for a few months. I went to every doctor imaginable for every test and they proved that I was perfectly fine, physically.

Mentally, however, I was a wreck.

My mom worried it had something to do with it being my first semester away at school, and my dad tried to force a psychologist appointment on me. I know he was just trying to help, but the thought of having to talk to someone about my anxiety only made it worse.

I think the problem with anxiety is that the people who have it sometimes don't know how to help themselves, and this frustrates the people around them because all they want to do is help.

That being said, I've put together some things that have helped me get through anxiety attacks big or small.

1. It helps to remember that the only thing you can do about whatever it is you're worrying about is get a good nights sleep.

2. Or it helps to go through everything you did that day from the moment you woke up, it distracts, relaxes and bores you to sleep.

3. It may be hard, but it does actually help to talk to people, whether it's about what's bothering you or something else to distract you.

4. Watch a movie, it's a really good distraction.

5. If it's something out of your control, keep reminding yourself that.

Your anxiety is not your whole life, and I hope this list helps.