Poetry On Odyssey: My Anxiety Made Me Do It

Poetry On Odyssey: My Anxiety Made​ Me Do It

A telling of explanations that are often confused for excuses.

111

I'm sorry

Sometimes when I talk,

I dig my nails into my palms so hard

That little red crescents form.

You see, I like talking to people

But not in front of people.

I'm sorry

When the professor asks a question

I do not raise my hand,

Instead I whisper under my breath

You see, I know the right answer,

But I am scared that maybe I don't.

I'm sorry

I cancelled our plans.

I showered, got dressed, did my hair…

And suddenly I felt sick

You see, I want to go to dinner,

But I do not know what I would order.

I'm sorry

I did not say "I love you"

The words sat on the tip of my tongue

But I could not make them pass my lips

You see, I do love you,

But I am terrified that you are lying.

I'm sorry

I can't sleep

I lay in bed and count sheep

My brain simply refuses to shut off

You see, I am exhausted

But if I close my eyes I think the world might end.

I'm sorry

For all the things my anxiety made me do.

For the missed dinners, the lost "I love yous",

The sleepless nights, the pacing.

You blame yourself, but I promise it is not you,

You didn't make me do anything

Everything is something my anxiety has made me do.

To The Girl Struggling With Her Body Image

It's not about the size of your jeans, but the size of your heart, soul, and spirit.

752029

To the girl struggling with her body image,

You are more than the number on the scale. You are more than the number on your jeans and dresses. You are way more than the number of pounds you've gained or lost in whatever amount of time.

Weight is defined as the quantity of matter contained by a body or object. Weight does not define your self-worth, ambition or potential.

So many girls strive for validation through the various numbers associated with body image and it's really so sad seeing such beautiful, incredible women become discouraged over a few numbers that don't measure anything of true significance.

Yes, it is important to live a healthy lifestyle. Yes, it is important to take care of yourself. However, taking care of yourself includes your mental health as well. Neglecting either your mental or physical health will inflict problems on the other. It's very easy to get caught up in the idea that you're too heavy or too thin, which results in you possibly mistreating your body in some way.

Your body is your special, beautiful temple. It harbors all of your thoughts, feelings, characteristics, and ideas. Without it, you wouldn't be you. If you so wish to change it in a healthy way, then, by all means, go ahead. With that being said, don't make changes to impress or please someone else. You are the only person who is in charge of your body. No one else has the right to tell you whether or not your body is good enough. If you don't satisfy their standards, then you don't need that sort of negative influence in your life. That sort of manipulation and control is extremely unhealthy in its own regard.

Do not hold back on things you love or want to do because of how you interpret your body. You are enough. You are more than enough. You are more than your exterior. You are your inner being, your spirit. A smile and confidence are the most beautiful things you can wear.

It's not about the size of your jeans. It's about the size of your mind and heart. Embrace your body, observe and adore every curve, bone and stretch mark. Wear what makes you feel happy and comfortable in your own skin. Do your hair and makeup (or don't do either) to your heart's desire. Wear the crop top you've been eyeing up in that store window. Want a bikini body? Put a bikini on your body, simple.

So, as hard as it may seem sometimes, understand that the number on the scale doesn't measure the amount or significance of your contributions to this world. Just because that dress doesn't fit you like you had hoped doesn't mean that you're any less of a person.

Love your body, and your body will love you right back.