Anxiety Is Normal

Anxiety Is Normal

Finding a way to cope is all trial and error.

138
https://pixabay.com/en/anxiety-fear-stress-emotion-wooden-2019928/

Lately, I've been super anxious. I don't know if it's because of school or not having a job or being surrounded by a bunch of people I don't know all the time. Maybe it's a mixture of all those things.

Dealing with anxiety on a daily basis is hard, but it's normal. Everyone gets anxious. Maybe not everyone has anxiety 24/7 like some, but we all feel that at some point. For this week's article, I took a survey. I asked people what makes them anxious, what their physical symptoms are, and how they cope with their anxiety.

With looking at the results of my survey, I realized that most of my triggers and physical symptoms are the same as others. It made me feel a little less alone and weird. Here are some of the questions I asked and the answers I got.

What are some things that make you anxious?

"Flying, public speaking, tests, presentations."

"New experiences, anger from other people, performing."

"Procrastination, time running out, enclosed spaces."

"Overloads of school work and conflicts with friends/family stress me out the most."

"Being around a lot of people, feeling left out within a group of people, tests/quizzes/exams, family, relationships, sometimes nothing at all I just feel anxious, needing to have important discussions."

"Waiting, crowds, being late, insecurities, anticipation, love."

"Large groups of people, people from my past, lots of work."

"Grades, money."

"Social situations, being awkward or messing up around people, public speaking."

What are some physical symptoms of your anxiety?

"Rapid heartbeat, sweating, shaky hands."

"Shakes, sweat, stuttering, heavy breathing, overthinking, face scrunching."

"Dry mouth (this makes me feel like I can't breathe and am having a panic attack), upset stomach, knots in my stomach."

"I get migraines."

"Heart racing, urge to cry, shaky/clammy hands, stomach ache, irritability."

"Itching, headache, eyes hurt, stomach pains."

"Lightheadedness, shakiness, rapid heartbeat."

"Heart racing, stomach cramps, crying, shaking."

"My hands sweat constantly, even if I'm having fun. I'll just get anxious all of a sudden and shut down sometimes."

How do you cope with your anxiety?

"I keep telling myself to breathe in and out slowly, and I encourage myself that everything will be okay."

"Talk to people about it, hide in my room to breathe, knit, jigsaw puzzles."

"Excuse myself from a group and take time alone to breathe. Journal. Text a friend."

"I sleep or hang out with my friends, paint or make crafts."

"Talk about it to close friends to get insight, write, relax/take a nap."

"Crack fingers, itch, tap foot, cry, sleep, go for walks, write."

"I pray and take deep, slow breaths. It helps to realize that whatever's going to happen is going to happen, so there's no need to worry because I can't change the future."

"Music, drawing, deep breaths, sleep."

"My best friend, she makes me feel a thousand times better about everything."

"Play on my phone."

"Deep breaths, coffee, naps, hot showers, hanging out with friends, pushing myself to do things out of my comfort zone so that my anxiety will maybe become better."

"Ride it out."

"Deep breaths, being alone."

"Surrounding myself with people and things that make me happy or just less stressed."

"Meditating or taking calm supplements."

For me, some things that make me anxious are crowds, people I don't really know, being late, when I start to develop feelings for a new person, going to class, presentations, not knowing what's going to happen, school work, not having enough money and stress.

Some of my physical symptoms are clammy/sweaty palms, rapid heart rate, not being able to breathe, irritability, tapping of my foot, cracking my knuckles, stomach pains, and feeling like I'm going to puke, even though I never do.

I cope with my anxiety by moving around, going on a walk, listening to music, hanging out with friends, writing, deep breathing, and sometimes I'll take a nap.

Some people, when anxious, will completely shut down. They'll stay isolated in their room and not talk to anyone. They'll feel like it's weird to feel this way and won't want to move because they don't know how to deal with it. I'm even guilty of isolating myself from time to time. Sometimes, I'll leave from hanging out with friends because I'm anxious, even when I don't really want to leave.

If there's anything you should take away from this article, it's that you're not alone in dealing with anxiety. Everyone experiences it at one time or another. We all get anxious. It's normal. Some people may have more anxiety triggers than others. Some may have different ways to cope than others.

Finding ways to cope is a bunch of trial and error. Don't get frustrated if one thing doesn't work. Just keep trying to find something that will get your mind off of it for a while.