Anxiety Is Like A Friend

Anxiety Is Like A Friend

I wish you were more of an acquaintance.

10
Anxiety Is Like A Friend

Anxiety is like a friend who wants to talk your ear off all day every day. It has no concept of time or place and does not care what you have to say. It is a know it all and you have to fight to get a word in the conversation. Somehow it always convinces you that it is right about everything.

Anxiety is like a friend who wants to look out for you but doesn't know when to stop. It doesn't have preferences, it warns you about everything. A slight stutter in your speech, a misuse of a word, forgetting to tell someone something, a missed text, there is no forbidden ground for worry. When things go wrong in life you turn to your closest friends to help you through, but anxiety turns to you to 'help' you through. Its radar is out of wack and to anxiety, everything is out to get you.

Anxiety is like a friend who wants to protect you from hurt but causes hurt in the process. It wants you to pick your friends wisely, so it questions you when you meet new ones. It makes you consider if they even like you. It makes you wonder if you are even good enough to be friends with these people. Sometimes anxiety thinks there is no room for other friends. It may even make you question your current friendships causing you to push people away for no reason at all.

Anxiety is like a friend who comes to the sleepover uninvited. It doesn't let you go to bed until you've figured out the solution to that problem that hasn't even arrived yet. It makes you lose sleep over things that won’t be happening until months from now or may never even happen at all. Instead of counting sheep you think about all the 'what ifs', 'how comes', and 'whys'. Once you finally start to drift off, anxiety reminds you of that one questionable thing you might have said two weeks ago or asks you how you will afford rent in the city you dream of moving to. Anxiety has no limits when it comes to topics and timelines.

Anxiety is like a friend that is toxic for you. It's full of unnecessary negativity, but you can't just get rid of it. You can't necessarily reason with it, but you can disagree with it. You have to separate yourself from it, knowing that sometimes it is trying to help you, but for the most part, you need to take its suggestions lightly.

Anxiety is like a friend that you wish was more of an acquaintance.