What Andrew Gillum's Win means for the Democratic Party

What Andrew Gillum's Win Means For The Democratic Party

Andrew Gillum's win is yet another turning point for the democratic party.

83
Malcolm Denemark, Malcolm Denemark/FLORIDA TODAY

After Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's win against incumbent Joe Crowley for the House of Representative seat in the New York primaries, a new idea of what the democratic party should be swept across America's more left-wing citizens. It was proven yesterday when Andrew Gillum took the win for the Democratic gubernatorial race in the Florida primaries. It was a shock to all those watching when a man who had less money spent on his campaign but double the tenacity against the other candidates was able to conceive such strong support. This just confirms that the Democratic Party's longstanding ties to money have finally- hopefully, been broken.

Thought I registered as a Democrat in order to vote in all of the elections, I am not blind to the ties to money that have existed within the party for years. In 2016 I also was not blind to the obvious way in which the DNC rigged the presidential primaries against then-Senator Bernie Sanders in favor of Hillary Clinton. Sanders' campaign was built solely on the support of those who believed in him and unlike every other candidate running for president in 2016, he was the only candidate that didn't take any money from Big Corporations in exchange for altering his agenda in whatever slight way to benefit them. This is the type of behavior I expect from a politician rather than the tainted, untrustworthy way in which politicians are justifiably viewed today.

DNC betrayed Bernie Sanders and the rest of America

Bernie Sanders supporters have a right to be angry

Andrew Gillum is different and better appealing than his opponents due to his humble upbringing and his understanding of working hard to get to the top. Nevertheless, his hard work hasn't stopped him from wanting to aid others who are in need. This is the kind of candidate that the Democratic Party needs. Someone that is truly for the people.

I believe that there is a different America that we can look to, and my hope is that this bipartisan system that creates such a strong divide between people can be altered so that there is a way where Republicans and Democrats alike can come together and start working for the people, not for corporations.

This piece was my opinion, obviously, and I don't mean to change your opinion but rather just share my views on the current political state. Those of you reading this are most probably of or above voting age. So, I'm going to urge you to register to vote if you haven't already, learn and research about your candidates, and go out to vote for the one you think best matches your values and vision for our country.

If you want to learn more about Andrew Gillum, here's the link to his website!

Support Andrew Gillum for Florida Governor

I'm running for Governor to transform Florida into a state that works for all of us. Join us today.