An Unexpectedly Unforgettable Memory

An Unexpectedly Unforgettable Memory

Something so small can be so unforgettable

34
An Unexpectedly Unforgettable Memory

It's about 6:30 am.

The train is a couple stops away, so I conclude I have just enough time to stop at the Dunkin' Donuts right next to the train station and get my usual order. "Morning, may I get a medium iced coffee with almond milk" I say lethargically to the cashier. Today the homeless man that always sits on the bench across from Dunkin', ever since I can remember, enters. Upon his entrance, the frigid air captures the stench of his clothes and pervades the store.

I hear him asking if someone could buy him a hot coffee and everyone ignores him. I am stuck between catching the train and offering to buy him the hot drink. Deciding gets much easier when he approaches me, as I'm grabbing extra napkins, and asks me the same question.

I can't say no. "Of course!" I respond.

At the register, he asks if he can get a muffin as well. I say sure but notice he is having a hard time choosing which one to order so I tell him that he should get more than just a muffin. He orders two muffins, a bagel, a breakfast sandwich, and a hot coffee. I pay for it and he says something incoherent through his tears and then smiles.

The next morning he wasn't at the black bench where he usually sits. And every day after that, when I went to Dunkin' in the morning, he wasn't there. I never saw him again. I thought about him a lot, so I created a scenario in my head where he got the help he needed and wasn't living on the streets anymore.

That day was, by far, one of my most vivid memories.