What It's Like To Be A Transfer Student At The University Of Alabama

First the worst, second the best.

124
123rf

Sometimes people change and the school that was originally the one you wanted to be at suddenly isn't the one for you. That was the idea I was facing when I transferred to the University of Alabama. Coming in as a transfer student makes my story a little different than the freshmen who started out their college experience here and I have some thoughts on it. Mostly that there's nothing quite like the tide.

It was definitely the biggest culture shock I've ever faced to transfer into this giant 38,000-student SEC national championship school. The Greek houses, campus and classes were bigger than anything I had experienced before. Everything was so new and exciting, but also lonely. I assumed that with a school of this size everyone would be super open and friendly, only to turn out making friends was really hard. I had never felt so alone, waiting to find my place and my people. It eventually all falls into the place but when the pieces are falling so are you. So my advice is put yourself out there, every day and when you need a day off of being the new kid give yourself one because you are emotionally going through so much stress. But there is something to be said about the South's hospitality, making it seem the school was only as hard as I made it. It became more of a choice to talk to people, and having friends in every class isn't hard. No one has that many people they can text, strike up a conversation.

With everything being new this often meant I felt dumb not understanding the traditions and having tons of questions. Find people who enjoy being ✨knowledgable✨ because it turns out everything is different. And your first trip into Bryant Denny Stadium will completely overwhelm you, as will your first lunch in your Greek house. Don't be afraid to be treated like a freshman and have your questions asked, everyone has them at some point. You know what's super cool about transferring, they'll have questions for you, too. Cause you get the best of both worlds, the old and the new.

Being the new kid is completely overwhelming but everyone does college at their own pace, some staying back for sports, others because of finances, some victory lapping. No one really cares if you are a junior in your freshmen English class (that didn't transfer over), mostly cause no one even knows. It's only as hard as you make it, but make sure you have Uber, Joy Ride, and the 348-Ride apps if you don't have a car.

Everything is far away here, and that said make friends that will pick you up, drop you off and give you rides to the store because it rains a lot. The humidity also makes you sweat like it just rained. There's nothing quite like Alabama, and although it was a tough year I'm so excited to give it another shot. In high tides and low tides, the Crimson Tide will be by my side, cause #RollTide. Forever #RollTide.