To The Person Who Puts Up Christmas Decorations BEFORE Thanksgiving

Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-NAH.
86

You know who you are.

You’re the person who goes HARD for Halloween and then the second the calendar changes over to November 1st, you already have your stockings hung, your tree decorated and you’ve already attended four tacky Christmas sweater parties and participated in a Secret Santa swap.

You can’t hide either; the scent of peppermint and gingerbread follows you wherever you go and we can hear you singing "All I Want For Christmas Is You" from miles away. You’re the reason Thanksgiving, a holiday brought to us by the friendship of the brave Mayflower pilgrims and Native Americans, a holiday dedicated to eating copious amounts of food, is overlooked for the commercialization and obsession for Christmas.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas! It’s easily my favorite holiday! I’m just one of those people that like to celebrate and acknowledge holidays in chronological order. It’s super annoying that even before Halloween, I was seeing Christmas decorations and commercials. This begs the question: why even celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving if people are going to start listening to Christmas carols in October/November? Also, don’t you people get tired of celebrating Christmas for three months?

Just hear me out...Thanksgiving is a great holiday and it needs the respect it deserves. On what other day of the year is it appropriate to stuff your face with food? Sure, the relatives can get a bit irritating but at least you get endless pie and turkey out of it! Also, we get the Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade and Turkey Trots and "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving"! And the next day is Black Friday! Think of it this way: you can start celebrating Christmas on Black Friday because that’s when I get the majority of my Christmas shopping done. (#ThoseDealsThough.)

This year, I challenge all of you who celebrate Christmas before Thanksgiving to just not. Take in the Thanksgiving holiday. As cliche as it sounds, it’s a good time to really be thankful for what you have and who you surround yourself with and to reflect on your blessings. I challenge you to maybe volunteer at a soup kitchen for Thanksgiving and just see how grateful some people are to get canned vegetables and cheap turkey. Christmas is just as important, but it can wait. You’ll be surprised at the people and their outlook on life and how grateful they are to get a hot meal on Thanksgiving Day.

So, celebrate Thanksgiving before Christmas. It’s only one more month until endless jingle bells, red cups and presents. As annoying as your second aunt twice removed may be, just suck it up and grin and bear it when she asks about your 10-year plan, if you’re getting married anytime soon and what you’re planning on doing with your degree. It’s one day a year, you can do it and at least you get a rockin’ dinner out of it.