To The People Who Hurt Me, The Joke Is On You

Thank you so much.

893
Deeside

Dear you,

Yeah, I doubt you'll ever see this. But if you do, I wanted to write you a letter about how thankful I am that you hurt me.

I know what you're thinking, "What? She's thanking me for hurting her?"

Yes. Yes, I am. Maybe I wasn't thankful at the time, but I certainly am now.

Over the years, I've grown and matured and realized right from wrong. I've taken my defeats and celebrated my successes. However, I wouldn't have found myself without any of your help.

In third grade, when you told me that I looked too young to be in your group and excluded me, I went home and cried about how I didn't fit in at my new school.

Today, after going through the years and being in the same graduating class as you in 2016, I realized that I didn't want to be in your group. It's full of people that are self-absorbed and fake. Those are people I certainly don't need to be around.

Thank you for turning me down from being in your 'precious' group. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have found my own group of real, caring people.

In fifth grade, when you ripped apart my backpack and kicked me off of my seat into the aisle of the bus, my mom had to get involved and come to my defense because I was so shocked that a 'friend' could turn on me so quickly.

Today, I realize that you were going through personality changes and finding yourself, and I was taking the blow for it because you weren't comfortable being the real you.

Thank you for ruining two backpacks and hurting me. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be so understanding to people. I would most likely be quicker to judge, but I now realize you really never know someone's story.

In middle school, you got mad at me for hanging out with your girlfriend even though she was my best friend first. You got so mad that you sent me message after message about how ugly I was, how big my nose is, and how I should barely be around anymore. I remember that moment like it was yesterday.

Today, I realize that you are most definitely NOT a nice person, if that wasn't obvious before. I've also learned that I may not be the prettiest or most kind person, but you are so insecure about yourself that you had to involve me. Your girlfriend wasn't going anywhere or leaving you, but you had to make sure of that by coming at me.

Thank you for making me self-conscious about my face. It's been a long journey trying to forget that, but it taught me to love myself no matter what. I only get one of me, and I can't do anything but embrace it.

In high school, so many of you pretended to like me while talking behind my back. You made fun of who I was friends with, what I looked like, and even who I was dating. I would come home so hurt, unable to comprehend why I wasn't cool like all the other high-schoolers.

Today, I realize that high school shortly becomes irrelevant. The memories are there forever, but the people, the bad times, and most of the events are easily forgotten about unless someone stumbles across a video or picture.

Thank you all for pretending to be my friend, calling me ugly, and more. Now, I've learned who to trust and who my real friends are. I've learned to accept myself more.

When I met you in sophomore year, we became best friends. Then, you became upset with me for not liking you the same way you liked me. You threatened me, told me to die, and more. I cried every night and questioned why I was here.

Today, you are no longer in my life. I'll always miss you. Each time I click on your contact name, I go to text you. I then remember the horrible memories, and how you flipped on me as easy as a switch. I usually wind up shutting my phone off and surrounding myself with people who truly love me.

Thank you for being my rock for so long, and opening my eyes to so many new adventures, until it all crashed down and you became someone different. I've learned to live each day as if it's the last, and love harder. You taught me one thing I would never shame you for; to laugh always and keep a smile on my face.

In junior year, you were so sweet to me. Until the first night your hand struck me. Each day was like fighting a different monster with you, and it did nothing but tear me down.

Today, you and your family are blocked from any part of me. I don't fear seeing you in public, but you fear seeing me. Just stepping into a room makes you angry in realizing what you lost. I now know you were unhappy with yourself and needed a punching bag.

Thank you for the months of abuse. I've learned that being in love and being used to someone can feel the same, until you've been exposed to someone's true colors. I'm happy and in REAL love now, one that isn't made up of balled fists and bruises. I've learned what love is supposed to be, not just in a relationship, but everywhere. I've built myself back up and I am way stronger than ever.

There are so many more instances where I've been hurt. However, I'm not writing a novel, but I hope you are reading this, wondering if you qualify under this letter. (Hint: YOU DO.)

So to everyone who has hurt me, I owe you a giant thank you. You've shaped me in ways I would never regret or take back because I'm happy with who I am now.

And to everyone who plans to hurt me in the future, I hope the day never comes, but if it does...Save it.

It won't affect me, but it will surprise you when all that comes out of my mouth is 'Thank you'.

Sincerely,

A girl who made it out stronger than ever.