A Letter To The Kids Growing Up With A Disability

Living with a disability will be the hardest and most rewarding experience you will ever have.
15

To all of the kids growing up with a disability,

No matter what your disability is, you are probably already starting to realize that your life is different than the other kids. You might need an aide in school to help you do your work. You might need extra time on each test you take.

You might not be able to do all the things the other kids do in gym class or on the playground. But that’s okay. You don’t need to be like everyone else.

I’m not going to lie. There's going to be times when you wish you didn’t have your disability and you wish you had a different life. There will be times when you wish things were easier for you. But you will get through it. God always chooses the strongest people to go through the biggest battles.

Remember that when it feels like things won’t get better or when you start to get overwhelmed trying to manage your disability.

As you go through life, you’re going to have to figure out how to adapt to each new situation. Some things will be easier than others. But always try to be as independent as you can and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you really need it.

It’s not worth it to wait hours for someone you know to come help you, especially if it’s something physical that you need. You will learn how to ask strangers for help and to know which people are the ones that will help you.

It won’t be easy, but you can learn how to get around in this world by yourself.

If you have trouble doing simple things by yourself, you will learn how to do them. You might just have to figure out another way. It doesn’t matter how you do things as long as you can do them.

Always try to do things yourself. Don’t give up when you can’t do something on the first few tries. You will figure out how to do the things you want eventually, it just may take some time.

Be patient and remember it’s okay to do things differently than everyone else. And when you finally learn how to do something yourself, it’s the best feeling in the world.

Be strong, my little warrior. You will win this battle.