An Open Letter To The Guy Who Wants To Legalize Rape

A misogynistic blogger wants to legalize rape as a "learning experience" for women.

168
Daryush "Roosh V" Valizadeh | via Raw Story

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Rape/Sexual assault discussion, transphobia mention, homophobia mention, racism mention, murder mention, misogyny, sex mention

Dear Guy Who Wants to Legalize Rape,

First, what the @#%&?

Once again we have proven why our society hates women. Men like yourself will quickly refute feminism by perpetuating vile sexist concepts, but continue to objectify women to the point where sex shouldn’t be consensual. This just in! WOMEN ARE HUMAN BEINGS! NOT YOUR PERSONAL SEX TOYS! I’m not sure if you know this, but just in case, were you aware that every 107 seconds someone is sexually assaulted? And that 293,000 people are sexually assaulted every year? And those are reported assaults. That’s right, because 68 percent of sexual assaults go unreported. ...But sure, let’s legalize the domination of women’s sexualities because it’ll “teach them a lesson.”

You specifically mention women in your claim. Of course, it’s understandable. You love women but will degrade them when they express sexual desire toward someone other than yourself. Just admit it; you hate women. Don’t try to think you’re some sort of Men’s Rights Activist—you’re a misogynist. Just own up to it, please. It’s not feminism’s fault that women don’t like you…this is why women don’t like you. My heart certainly goes out to any of your previous sexual partners.

“I saw women who voluntarily numbed themselves with alcohol and other drugs in social settings before letting the direction of the night’s wind determine who they would follow into a private room,” you say (via Raw Story). “I saw women who, once feeling awkward, sad, or guilty for a sexual encounter they didn’t fully remember, call upon an authority figure to resolve the problem by locking up her previous night’s lover in prison or ejecting him from school.”

Dude. Are you aware that 98 percent of sexual assailants never spend a day in jail? Or that between two and eight percent of sexual assaults are falsified? Or that 47 percent of rapists are acquainted with victims? My God, a simple Google search would have told you that. But, you would never, because you hate women.

“By attempting to teach men not to rape, what we have actually done is teach women not to care about being raped, not to protect themselves from easily preventable acts, and not to take responsibility for their actions,” you say. Are you joking? Women are told from young ages that we can’t walk outside at night. Or, that we are subjected to sexist dress codes in grade school to protect us from the male gaze; girls are being suspended from school because their education is less important than those oh so “distracting” shoulders. Or, that women have been murdered for saying no to creepy men? But hey, “boys will be boys,” right? Those victims deserved it, right? Everything’s women’s fault, right?

Are you aware of how disrespectful you’re being? Not only to cis women who are victims of sexual assault, but transpeople, non-binary persons, children, and even male victims! Were you aware that transpeople, people of color, and LGBTQ+ people are have a greater chance of being sexually assaulted in their lifetime?

Now you’re trying to organize a group of fellow misogynists in support of legalizing rape. You have no respect for victims. You have only highlighted why feminism exists. Women are nothing to you but walking vaginas. And hell, screw male victims, LGBTQ+ victims, trans* victims, victims of color, etc. Am I overreacting? Probably, but that’s because even though I have never personally been sexually assaulted, I respect the millions of people who have. My only hope for you is that you come around, too.

If you or someone who know is a victim of sexual assault, please refer to National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC). You may remain anonymous, and you do not deserve to become the target of incorrigible ideas from people such as this guy.