An Open Letter To Past, Present And Future Teammates

Clear eyes and a full heart can't lose.

95
Lindsay Hively

Dear teammates,

There’s a little saying that goes: “Teammates by chance, friends by choice.” Take a second to let that sink in...As spot-on as this gets, I think we can all agree that we aren’t just considered friends--we’re family. We’ve formed bonds and created unforgettable memories that I will treasure forever. With that being said, I’d personally like to thank each and every one of you for pushing me to be my very best.

To my past teammates: It’s simply unimaginable to picture my life without you. From trainings at the crack of dawn, to the hours of practice following a strenuous day of school, to the long nights spent travelling home from a huge rival game, I always felt a little stronger knowing I had such a great group of girls supporting me. We aimed high to reach one common goal. The goal to not only win, and to not only notice signs of self-improvement, but to enjoy being unstoppable together. We traveled near and far, over county and state lines, to play our hearts out. We felt the rush of a nail-biting win in double overtime with sudden death, and we experienced the heartache of watching our season end. There was always someone down for the opportunity to take game-day pictures, and do not get me started on the various smells of our locker room. Most importantly, you’ve seen me at my best, and you’ve definitely seen me at my worst. You’ve seen it all. And how can we possibly forget those five dreadful words coach would say? “Get on the end line” still gives me the chills to this very day. Tears of laughter and tears of sadness have been shed, and we’ve played in temperatures on polar opposite ends of the thermometer. Yes, there were days where we couldn’t stand each other, but conflict is inevitable- we learned to make it through. Even when we physically couldn’t see it, we were constantly improving every day. Thank you for making those drizzly days at the mulch sale enjoyable. Thank you for giving me the courage to try a spicy chicken wing during our crazy food challenges. Thank you for being you. I wouldn’t have wanted to share the field, and my heart, with anyone else.

To my present teammates: I’m usually not the biggest fan of change, but I definitely made the right decision to continue athletics in college. Hands down. Despite only knowing you for a few short months, I feel like I can be my goofy self around you already. Coming from a girl who has a tough shell to crack, this is pretty big. I love having a reason to get out of my dorm to play the sport I’ve grown up cherishing dearly. What I find amazing about this team is that we refuse to let the scoreboard affect our attitudes. We play for the enjoyment of the game, and that’s something I’ve truly missed. You’re the older sisters I’ve always wanted, and for that I am forever grateful. Thank you for being some of my first friends here in college, and for giving me a place in such a scary, new environment. I'm so excited for all that is yet to come, and I can’t wait to watch our club grow in the next four years.

To my future teammates: I hope you’re ready for the time of your lives: waking up early for day-long tournaments, jamming out as we drive to practice, accidentally pulling off a really awesome play, and the many moments of laughter in between. I will try my very best to be the supportive, yet incredibly fun, role model that any newbie on a team needs. Time goes faster than you think, so take it from me-enjoy every second. Never forget that clear eyes and a full heart can’t lose.