An Open Letter To My Robin

An Open Letter To My Robin

I wouldn't get much done without you.
24

Dear Robin,

I may be one of those people who has a lot of "best friends," or maybe I'm that person who has so many "best friends" that none of them are really best friends and they're all just friends. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that you're my number one. You are it. There's no one else that gets me like you do, and this may start to sound like more of a love letter than anything. It must be hard for anyone else to save the world without you by their side, but I'm glad you're mine.

It could be 1 in the morning, or 1 in the afternoon and I know that I can run to you. You calm me down out of my worst panic attacks. You listen to the gibberish that is coming out of my mouth and always know how to reply. You give the best advice, sometimes when it's not even wanted. You know exactly what I need, and exactly how I need to do it. Sometimes I think that you know me better than I know myself. When I'm down, you build me up. When I'm up, you stand at the top with me. The truth is, I don't know what I would do without you.

I'm thankful that you're also the therapist that I don't have to pay for. Whether it's talking me out of a terrible life decision or supporting me through a hard one, you make it easy for me to make up my mind and know that I'm going to be OK. It takes a special person to be able to make another person's life seem OK when they're being so negative, so thanks for being mine.

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by a lot of people in my life who support me, but I'd be nothing without my partner in crime. I need you and your opinion close to me at all times. It turns out that without your help, I'd never be able to grow into the strong person I am today. To say that we agree on everything or that we don't get under each other's skin would sugar coat this too much that it wouldn't seem real. We just know the things we do and say to each other are only to make the other person better (even if we can't see it their way at the moment).

We aren't the touchy and lovey type, but on our worst days we're snuggling and watching countless hours of Netflix, then staying up until early morning hours talking about politics, boys and society. Our conversations are unlike anything I have with anyone else. Our opinions may vary, but we listen to each other and that's what's important. So, thank you for that, too.

At one point, I lived my life without you in it and I'm not sure how I survived that long. All I know now is that I'm thankful to have you right by my side and to be blessed with a best friend who can handle me.

Love,

Batman