To My Disney College Program Roommate

To My Disney College Program Roommate

This is dedicated to all the wonderful roommates of DCP.

54
To My Disney College Program Roommate
Taylor DeMarco

Dear Roommate,

I can remember the exact day I met you. You were the first of the five other roommates I would be sharing an apartment with for the next five months of my internship with the Disney College Program. I was nervous, especially because I was finally meeting you in person as opposed to the texts we exchanged before we traveled to Florida. However, there was something different about you when we first met. My nervousness and anxiety went away and it felt like we've known each other for years, even though we had just met. Obviously I couldn't tell you that at the time, because that would have been terribly creepy but it's true. I felt a sense of comfort with you, almost like I felt right at home.

The next day was check-in day! We were finally handed the keys to the apartment that would hold the memories of our program forever. The second we finally walked into the apartment I felt a shift in everyone's moods. To think we were already really excited, just seeing the place that we'd call home for the rest of our program only heightened our excitement. We spent all day bleaching the entire apartment (Dear Future CPs: your apartment will be disgusting when you first move in) and I already felt like we created a bond together.

Fast forward through our first dole whips, first rides together, first heart-to-heart conversations and first time watching "Wishes" together, we created a friendship that's stronger than most that I've had before. For only being together for a short amount of time, we became each other's person. If something went wrong or I needed to vent, you were the first person I'd write a text out to. When we came home from our late-night shifts and everyone was already asleep, we knew we had each other for our late night pizza roll dates and movie nights. You were my favorite person to cry to, because you knew just what to say to make me feel like I can take on the world. These are only a few reasons why you became my best friend.

Other than these sappy parts of our friendship, you were always a good time to be with. Most of my favorite memories of my program involve going out with you. Whenever we went to Vista Way and hung out with our group of friends, went to House of Blues, hung out by the pool or went to the mall, we always managed to laugh the entire time and have a blast. You were my favorite person to hang out with and come home to.

The worst day was finally coming: my departure date. I finally graduated from the DCP and was ready to go back home. Unfortunately, going back home meant I wasn't coming home to you anymore. This completely broke my heart and I didn't realize how bad I was going to miss you until I left Orlando. Our teary goodbyes and five paragraph "after-goodbye" texts killed me knowing that we wouldn't be in the same state anymore. Did this mean our friendship was over? Are we going to drift apart?

Even though I didn't see you everyday, it felt like nothing changed. We still talk every single day and our bond has not weakened in the slightest. If anything, it's been getting stronger. I wish I could see you more often, I would do anything to be around your positive attitude and contagious laughter. Distance truly does make the heart grow fonder and I've learned that it won't do any damage on a true friendship.

One of my favorite quotes from Disney was said in "Kingdom Hearts II": "It doesn't matter how much we see each other, but how much we think of each other." I'm so happy I finally learned the true meaning of that through you.

Thank you for being my best friend. I love you.

Talk to you soon,

Your Roommate/Best Friend