An Open Letter To My College People

An Open Letter To My College People

From late night food runs, dancing around like fools, studying, or just laughing there is no one else that I would want to survive college with.

12
An Open Letter To My College People

Dear my college people,

I guess you guys are okay enough to write a letter to, so here it is:

We have only known each other for two years. To many people that seems like an insufficient amount of time to know someone, or let alone, deem them as your best friends. Of course we pay them no mind; we have never been normal after all. The amount of days, months, and years do not matter to us. We look rather at the seconds, minutes, and hours that we have spent talking, laughing, crying, yelling, and silently enjoying each other’s company. There are so many things I would like you to know so here we go:

Thank you for letting me in

I know I can come off rather strongly. The loud obnoxious girl who is all in your personal space. But I thank you for giving me a chance and letting me into your lives. Not only your lives but also your heads, your hearts, and your families. You sometimes say that you feel like you’re bothering me with your problems, but I enjoy the fact that you trust me enough to tell me. I need you all to know that you are never a bother. All of your secrets and fears are mine as well and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I love our food runs

It may sound silly to others, but you all know how much these runs mean to us. For one, we get food and we love food. Like a lot. But also we get to be goofy in the car with the radio blasting, windows down, and our voices screaming the lyrics to our favorite songs. Or we just sit and talk as one of us drives to our favorite spots like Taco Bell, McDonald’s, or Denny’s. We get to leave campus if only for a little while and as we go we leave the stress behind us if only for a moment.

I love laughing and goofing off with you

One of my favorite things in the world is having fun with you. I have never felt so comfortable with a group of people. I know I can laugh as loud as I want and dance as badly as I can around you. We can make silly comments and talk about our days without a care in the world. We sing, dance, and even rap sometimes.

I love our ability to have intellectual conversations

As much as we love being silly, we also are college students who care about the world. I appreciate our ability to have serious conversations about what is happening politically and socially. Thank you for strengthening my views and even disagreeing with a few. Our ability to have open discussions is a true gift.

I could never survive college without you

College is hard. The stress pours out of every nook and cranny of our campus and seeps right into our pores. Thank you for being there to make me laugh when I need it or be a shoulder to cry on when the stress is too much. Late night study sessions and scrambling to get a paper done that is due the next day would be impossible tasks if not for you. Your simple presence makes college doable.

Thank you for being my family

We don’t get to see our “real” families all the time what with school work and crazy schedules but I do not feel alone. I do not feel empty. Thank you for being my family. For loving me and for letting me love you. Time and blood do not matter when we are as close-knit as we are.

Sincerely,

The girl who could never survive without you