An Open Letter To Lindsay Lohan

An Open Letter To Lindsay Lohan

You messed up, Cady Heron
51

Hey LiLo, long time no see.

I loved you in Mean Girls. Who didn't? But then you and Amanda Bynes went crazy and you ended up a punchline on Letterman. Then you did what anyone should do in that situation: you tried to pull yourself back up. And I respected you for it and looked forward to whatever projects you would pursue with your newfound sobriety.

I remember hearing that you were going to play Elizabeth Taylor, one of the most incredible actresses of all time whose personal life was more interesting than any movie.

"Liz, we cast Lindsay Lohan to play you!"

I was confused. Then I was mad. Then I thought "okay, let's see where this goes". I gave you then benefit of the doubt, Lindsay, because I genuinely wanted you to succeed.

And you failed me. Worse than that, you failed Elizabeth Taylor.

You took Dame Elizabeth Hilton Wilding Todd Fischer Burton Burton Warner Fortensky Taylor and everything she represented: strength, talent, independence, and compressed it into a simpering, two-dimensional shrew of a woman. You did her wrong, Lindsay.

So I have to ask, aren't you done spitting on the legacies of great actresses of the '60s?

This is Sharon Tate. She was one of the most beautiful women who ever lived, she was the former wife of famed director Roman Polanski, and she was brutally murdered in 1969 by The Manson Family.

Tate, 26, was eight and a half months pregnant with her child at the time of her murder. Her film career was still on the rise, and she was an integral figure of the "jet set" crowd that ruled over Hollywood in the mid-to-late '60s. Today, Tate is remembered as a victim of the most horrific group of criminals in recent history.

"#cancer meets #AQUARIUS I LOVE SHARON TATE #themeLOOK"

Lindsay, I'm not going to insult your intelligence. You know who Charles Manson is and you know what he did. He's currently serving 9 consecutive life sentences. Your caption is obviously very distasteful, I'm sure you know that. So why did you post this picture with that caption on his birthday?

In your defense, you probably don't have Charles Manson's birthday memorized (and if you do, just know that I'm praying for you). It's just an unfortunate coincidence (right?!) and you shouldn't be held accountable for a little mistake like that.

But when your picture gets national attention for all the wrong reasons, for the love of God, delete it. You don't even have to delete the picture, just edit the caption! You can do that now! Instagram has come a long way! The fact that you haven't made any effort to change it speaks volumes about who you are, Lindsay.

Now look, I get it. I love attention. I will and have done whatever it takes to get it. I know that this is the first time in a long time your name has been in the news, but not all publicity is good publicity, and all you're doing with this little stunt is justifying the disrespect and audacity that's become a stain on my generation. You don't have to publicly beg for forgiveness, just recognize your mistake, apologize, and fix it. Set an example for the many who don't know how, or blatantly refuse to do that.

In the long run, this doesn't really matter. Tate's been dead for almost fifty years and the Manson Family has been in jail for nearly that long. Now they're too old to laugh without peeing, let alone commit more homicidal atrocities. But respect is not confined to a decade. Grace and tact are eternal, and what you've proven with this one picture and those four simple, poorly timed words is that you lack all of these qualities and that your moral character is a lot like your career (and that outfit): unremarkable and tacky. Please use your influence for good as opposed to mere attention.