hate florida

An Open Letter To Florida, I Can't Wait To Say Goodbye To You

Living in the Sunshine State isn't for me.

159

Florida, some people may find your sandy white beaches and unmatched heat a joy to exist in. Some people may believe that you truly are the best state to live in and could not imagine living anywhere else. We have always had a love-hate relationship but it is finally time for me to come out and say this - Florida, I don't think we're a good match anymore.

This probably doesn't come as a surprise to you, I've been browsing different places for ages now trying to find a state that fits my needs. Not too far away (so we can visit the family that still live here, obviously), not too conservative (you know how I feel about my politics), it needs to have some decent weather (because come on Florida, you know how much I hate this humidity), and I need somewhere that actually exists within the realm of having seasons (I'm tired of this too hot, kinda hot thing you've got going on).

Don't be sad, you'll forget about me in a few years. And no, I'm not going to do that crazy thing where I pop up in your life just to grab a coffee and make you question all the things you had put out of your head years ago. I'd never dream of doing that to you – someone else will come along and make you as happy as I've seemed to make you for all these years. I'm assuming that's why I've been kept here so long.

I'll be around for a little while longer, but once I'm out, I'm gone for good. Don't worry about seeing me again. I'm tired of the snowbirds and their terrible driving, tired of the afternoon thunderstorms that ravage everything in its path, tired of you not being able to make up its mind about what kind of weather we're going to have. Just pick one - it honestly cannot be that hard, but somehow you've always found a way to make it difficult.

The things you offer just aren't working for me anymore. I need someone with more opportunity, friendlier people, more landscapes (I'm tired of this flat, flat, flat, ground), and honestly, I just need a change.

So yes, maybe it is me. Cliche right? You're just not the right fit for me anymore and I'm going crazy every day being stuck in this relationship with you. But understand, I never had any bad feelings before and I still don't have any. I just want you to understand that I just can't handle this anymore. You're just not able to give me what I want and that's okay, I'm the one who has to do the work in order to find something that works for me.

I'll always cherish our time together, you've given me some great memories and we'll always have those. But once I'm done with school, that's the last you'll see of me.

Goodbye Florida, I'm sorry but I won't miss you as much as you'll miss me.