An Open Letter To The Guys I Don't Text Anymore

From the least texted number in your contacts list.

51
Shutterstock

Hi, it's me.

Remember me? The girl you thought was "so beautiful" and you had to "get to know better?" Yeah, I'm still here, hanging around in your contacts list. We haven't spoken beyond our first conversation of forced small talk — or, maybe, if we're both lucky, we haven't spoken at all.

Probably, after you reintroduced yourself, you pretended to want to talk to me for a little while. You gave it the good ol' college try, as they say, and for a few messages I, probably, believed it. You told me I looked so beautiful today, or that I seemed "really cool haha." But then, oh, but then, the questions got a little... less subtle—if you can call it that. "What are you up to tonight?" When I reply with my customary "nothing," you've found your emoji keyboard and have sent me a winking emoji, saying you'd like to "cuddle" — or if you think you've really mastered the ways of deception, you might even go so far as to say "spoon." It takes only one or two of these "flirty" messages for me to see that you're about as covert as a bullhorn in a library, so I make my exit stage left. Nice try, though. Delete.

You spotted my pretty patterned skirt, and set your sights on me like you were picking me out of a lineup. By my outfit alone, you had me all figured out. Pretty, flirty, and that was about it. But when I told you I loved to read, or that I was dedicated to freely and openly discussing social issues, or that I wasn't going to "send nudes lol," I wasn't at all what you imagined. I was the girl your mother wanted you to bring home, but your boys wouldn't understand—to be fair, you probably wouldn't understand me, either; as was evident by your enthusiastic "wow"'s and "that's cool haha" and "sooo"'s in response to my "feminism B.S." Delete.

But maybe that's not it. Maybe you spotted my shy smile and sometimes soft spoken voice, and thought I could be manipulated. Thought I could be coerced into "talking" to you while you entertain, date, or possibly even sleep with other girls. You thought I'd be too hooked on you and too sweet or too timid to bring up the fact that what you were doing was wrong. And, hey, you liked me, but you just "weren't sure" yet or you just "wanted options." That's fine, you can keep your opinions, and I'll make sure to keep away from you. Delete.

Maybe, still, I haven't hit the nail on the head. Maybe you're the guy I really hit it off with. The one who made me laugh in the Starbucks line, or the one who shared my appreciation for dry, sometimes sarcastic humor. But, one day, oh, one fateful day, you stopped texting back. Maybe I told you too much information, or maybe you just got bored. Maybe you never got my message, and didn't care enough to follow up. Maybe you were getting too attached. Maybe I was. For whatever reason, we aren't in contact now, and neither one of us took any steps to rectify the situation. I think those contacts are the saddest ones of all: the lost ones. Still, these conversations, too, end in a "delete."

The almighty lyricist Drake once said, "we live in a generation of not being in love and not being together, but we sure make it feel like we're together, 'cause we're scared to see each other with somebody else." I can't really... vibe with this culture of sort of "talking" to someone, or sort of being romantically linked to them. I don't want vague Facebook statuses or lame halfhearted Instagram posts. I don't even want to go on dates. I just want effort, communication, trust. And, sure, labels on relationships aren't everything, but at least they show some, well, effort, communication and trust.

Until I find anything remotely close to that, I'm fine with being the least texted contact in your phone. At least I know I'm not being played.