An Open Letter To The Man I Love

An Open Letter To The Man I Love

"The good things in life are better with you." - Unknown

101
An Open Letter To The Man I Love

Valentine’s Day just passed and as we know, this is a day set aside for the ones we love. It’s a day to celebrate a feeling that makes us all so giddy and excited – a feeling everyone knows whether it’d be with a family member or a significant other.

While I know the feeling for both, I’m here to write about the latter.

I’m 19. I’m a sophomore in college. I transferred 611 miles from a school in Texas to a school in the heart of Missouri. I knew virtually no one. I transferred my sorority membership and was immediately thrown into sorority recruitment. I was overwhelmed. I was scared.

I met a boy. I met him right after I sent in my acceptance to the University of Missouri. He was funny, and he struck me as a complete joy that I needed to have in my life. A joy I really didn’t think I needed at first.

He was carefree, unlike any other man I’ve met. He had a love of school with a respect and understanding for family that I’ve never seen before. He's motivated and intelligent. He loves sarcasm, something I don’t understand still to this day, but I’m still learning. His sense of humor is so incredible. I wish I could have half of his joy for life and capability to not be so serious all the time.

As we got to know each other, I started getting butterflies just being around him. I’ve never had that feeling around anyone else before. I was scared.

He became a part of my life that I can’t imagine not having. I can’t imagine not having his sweet smile, his warm hugs, or his infectious laugh. I can’t imagine not having his hand to hold.

I’m 19. I know it sounds like a crazy teen crush, but its more than that. It’s an understanding of the importance another person has on your life. It’s an admiration for another person’s heart. It’s a desire to support another person, no matter what.

I learn more and more from him every day. I hope that one day, I’ll be able to teach him even half of the things he’s taught me about myself. I have a greater appreciation for who I am because of him—he helped me get here.

I’ll never be able to truly tell him how appreciative I am of him and everything he’s given me. I know sometimes I can be a diva, but he keeps me grounded. I’m appreciative of his patience and love. I’m appreciative of his attention. But most of all, I love him very much.