An Introduction to Greek Crossing

An Introduction to Greek Crossing

44
An Introduction to Greek Crossing

“Now, who's ever heard of the 'stroboscopic effect?” Whether you know the answer to this or not, this probably sounds like a question you would hear in a physics class. You may be surprised to learn that this was one of the opening questions of a sermon given by Reality LA's Casey Fritz, the selected speaker for Greek Crossing this last week. So, what is Greek Crossing?

I asked my fellow sister that very same question and Arlene Tokunaga had a lot to say. Tokunaga is a third year here at UCLA and part of Greek Crossing's Morale Team. If you know Tokunaga, you know she is one of the nicest and happiest people in the Greek system. When I heard she was a part of this club called Greek Crossing, I was immediately intrigued to what it was all about. I mean, who would not want to be part of a club that makes you as happy as her?

“Greek Crossing is a club by Greeks and for Greeks, where people can come learn about God and the Bible and have spiritual conversations with others in the Greek system,” Tokunaga stated. 

Sounds like a pretty basic idea for a Christian club, right? So then the real question would lie in what makes this particular club so special. 

“There are three main things that I love about Greek Crossing,” Tokunaga informed me.

The first was the amount of support from the other Greeks in the community because of the amazing bond you can build through a relationship of faith with those who walk your same path. The second was the speakers, local pastors that come and give a sermon to this bi-weekly group of approximately 50 to 80 Greek students. Interestingly, the last sticking point of Greek Crossing was the fact that it is open to people of all religions, not only Christians.

Tokunaga cordially invited me to attend last Friday's meeting, so I decided to see what all the hype was about. I walked into Chi Omega, the house hosting the club that week, and was greeted by friendly faces and Diddy Riese cookies. The night was obviously off to a good start.

After about half an hour of socializing and being surprised with all the familiar faces attending, we all seated ourselves to listen to Alex McKenna of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Cory Schroeder of Lambda Chi Alpha, the MCs of Greek Crossing. Cracking jokes, the duo was incredibly welcoming before forcing upon us one of the most awkward parts of joining a new group environment: icebreakers. Luckily, no one was put on the spot to reveal their “secret handshake,” but the two revealed their own, which without a doubt would have topped any other in the room

Fritz was soon introduced and dove into his sermon with immense enthusiasm. Whether you belong to a traditional church, a modern church, or no church at all, you can believe me when I say you would have been completely enraptured in his passionate words. Here is where he mentions the “stroboscopic effect,” but I'll get to that later.

The sermon Fritz gave focused on a very serious question that many Christians may ask themselves (“What good deed must I do to enter the kingdom of heaven?”), but it was riddled with clever humor and relatable puns ranging from playful anecdotes about his childhood to accidentally referencing Miley Cyrus's “Wrecking Ball.”

Later breaking into small groups and discussing the sermon with a few people and a discussion leader, the atmosphere transformed into an intimate setting. I was amazed with the willingness of those in my group to open up and share their past and their opinions with all of these strangers. I was even more surprised to find myself participating and sharing details of my own relationship with God. Without even realizing, the humor of the sermon and the intimacy of the small groups had me feeling relaxed and accepted, as if I had been attending the meetings all along.

And finally, here is where the “stroboscopic effect” can be reiterated. If you have zero clue what this is, I will explain it simply (and do not feel bad because when Fritz asked, I definitely had no idea what it could possibly mean).

The “stroboscopic effect” is when an object is moving so fast that it looks like it is either not moving at all or moving in the reverse direction. Although this is not how Fritz related the phrase to his sermon, this is what I got out of it. Life can get overwhelming. It can feel like you're moving so fast that you are taking a step back, as if you are losing progress because just you cannot keep up. This is where God comes in, this is where you need the support of your friends and your community.

Tokunaga described Greek Crossing as “a place of non-judgment.” The way she sees it, “we are all equally broken, and when we're all equally broken we can all come together and learn about who can fix us – Jesus.”

So whether or not you have heard of Greek Crossing, have ever been interested in attending a meeting and seeing what it is like, or even if you are not religious, Greek Crossing is a welcoming environment where you can relax, meet new faces, start or strengthen your relationship with Christ, and be with those in your Greek community.

Take it from a first-timer, you will not have a bad experience when you are surrounded by the most accepting people from every house in the Greek system.

Side note: apparently “the boys at Greek Crossing are the best dates for date parties!”