5 Misconceptions International Students Have About Chicago

3. It's easiest to befriend other International Students

94
Flickr Creative Commons

Moving is never an easy process. To some, while it may be an exciting opportunity to start afresh, people often don't take into consideration that it can actually be quite tumultuous - leaving all one's friends and family behind. That being said, if one can afford such an opportunity to expand their educational horizons, then why not look at the positives?

I'll admit that when I first came to Chicago, I was overwhelmed by a majority of things such as weather, safety and security, and social stigma of people just choosing to see me as "different." Last week, at orientation for incoming international students, I was able to see similar fears mirrored on the faces of some of the students who will be starting school in the fall.

Below is a list of misconceptions that I have had, and other international students have told me that they are concerned about. This article is here to grant insight on why people may feel this way, and how to combat these fears and overcome the misunderstandings.

1. I'll feel homesick

It would be foolish to say that you would not feel at all homesick, particularly within your first couple of days, weeks, or even months here. While this feeling may seem unavoidable, it's important to acknowledge that it's 100% normal, and that it takes everyone a different amount of time to settle into their new environment. The positive side of this one is that it's not exclusive to international students. There may be plenty of American students who are from different cities and states than where the college is located. Additionally, everyone is in the same boat - they're all trying to make friends. If you're brave enough, say hello!2) Once you've seen downtown, you've seen it all

2. Once you've seen downtown, you've seen it all

As of the last 5 years, Chicago, in particular, is the most segregated city in the United States. That means, that there are plenty of neighborhoods with have different appeals, characteristics, styles, and culture. Chances are, you'll even find a neighborhood that emulates the culture and food from your home country!

While downtown Chicago is bountiful with endless restaurants, attractions, and modes of entertainment, it doesn't end there! It would be counterproductive to come all the way and only see 1-2 neighborhoods, and the touristy ones at that. To familiarize yourself with the city, exploration is encouraged. In a city this big and diverse, you'll find plenty of favorite spots all around - so don't limit yourself to staying downtown.

It is definitely going to be the most comfortable to mingle and mix with those who grew up either in the same or similar countries as you. This is especially true when it comes to sharing commonalities such as food taste, language, humor, and other cultural aspects. In fact, doing so is definitely encouraged and DePaul students can easily meet other international student at events, a schedule of which can be found on the Global DePaul Facebook page.

However, international students shouldn't feel like they are limited to only making friends with people who have similar backgrounds. There are plenty of other DePaul events, clubs, and organizations where all students can interact and build friendships. The solution to meeting different people, particularly outside class is simple - Get involved! There are hundred of organizations that can be accessed and joined through Orgsync. If none pertain to your interests, start your own!

4. Travelling around the city can be unsafe

When living abroad, it's not uncommon to hear unpleasant news stories from Chicago, however, that should not strike fear. If unfamiliar with public transportation, try to find people in your classes or dorms to commute with, if possible. When walking alone, try to talk to a friend on the phone. Also remember that there are numerous ways to familiarize yourself with the public transportation system, such as apps, maps, and brochures that can be found at the stations. Finally, there are other ways of commuting outside of public transport such as biking, walking, or ride-sharing apps.

5. I can refresh my English through Netflix and other American popular culture

If a language barrier is one of your main causes of anxiety, just know that the best way is to simply practice! DePaul is here to help you, with both written and spoken English. Pronunciation workshops can be accessed and registered for here, and the staff at the DePaul Writing Center, located on the Lincoln Park campus, are there to help students with grammar and similar aspects regarding assignments. Lastly, don't be worried about asking people to repeat or rephrase themselves. As stated, practice is key, and you didn't come all this way to watch YouTube as a means of practicing English.

I hope over time that international students will start to feel as at home as I have, and are able to see how much their school and their city can offer them. Good luck!