13 Things You Can Do With An English Degree

13 Things You Can Do With An English Degree, For Those Who Think It's Useless

Despite the stereotype, English majors CAN have a future.

11

English majors, and probably all liberal arts majors in general, get a lot of grief. Some people assume that if you're not majoring in nursing, engineering, or business, you'll be unemployed and living in your parents' basement after college. As an English major myself, I've seen the confusion on people's faces when I explain that I'm majoring in English. While I appreciate the concern, I'm here to say on record that, despite the stereotype, English majors can, in fact, have a future. Here are 13 career routes you can take with your English degree.

1. You can become a journalist.

Ever read a news article on Facebook? Watched a segment of "60 Minutes?" Seen the local news report at 7? The news field is run primarily by journalists, whose job is to research and to write. Journalism is the perfect career field for an English major since journalists need writing, analytical, and communication skills.

2. You can go to law school.

It's a well-known fact that a bachelor's in English is a solid foundation for future lawyers. With an English degree, you'll have the skills you need to succeed in law school, where you'll be constructing arguments and comprehending stacks upon stacks of legal documents.

3. You can write screenplays.

You know your favorite shows, like "Friends" and "The Office?" Someone had to sit down and write those shows so that viewers like you could enjoy them. As a screenwriter, English majors will be able to channel their creativity and use their writing skills in order to create screenplays that will end up as shows to be binge-watched on Netflix.

4. You can teach.

While teaching isn't the only option for English majors, it's an admirable and doable goal. Personally, I'm planning to steer clear of teaching high schoolers, but an English degree can help you become a teacher and can also lead to becoming a college professor someday.

5. You can become a communications director.

English majors usually develop great communications skills that can be very useful in the business field, especially working as a communications director or a similar position.

6. You can become a full-time blogger.

Blogging has really taken off in the past decade, and you can now make a living by blogging, whether it's fashion, travel, or whatever else suits your fancy.

7. You can run social media accounts for companies.

Social media is a huge part of any successful company nowadays, and many companies hire one or more people to manage their accounts. Who better than to have a writer posting witty captions to go with their Instagram pictures?

8. You can become an editor.

It's a broad title because there are so many routes you can take if you want to become an editor. With an English degree, you'll have a shot at editing newspapers, magazines, and even books. Magazines like Cosmo and Vogue need editors, as do publications like The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. As long as there's printed media in the world, there will be a need for editors.

9. You can work for a publishing company.

This goes hand-in-hand with editing, but English majors can also get jobs at publishing companies. These jobs involve tasks like reading manuscripts, working closely with authors, and selecting books for publication.

10. You can get a job in advertising.

Though it's in the business field, advertising is an option for English majors. After all, somebody has to come up with the catchy names for Starbucks drinks and the amusing commercials for insurance companies.

11. You can become a technical writer.

All companies need instruction manuals and safety regulations written and compiled, which is a job fit for an English major, who can write concisely and with clarity.

12. You can become a grant writer.

Grant writers need good analytical, comprehension, and writing skills, all of which English majors have.

13. You can write books.

It's a lofty goal, but writing books is a career option for English majors. With some hard work and dedication, you can become the next New York Times best-selling author after completing your education.

And those are just 13 routes you can take with an English degree. For those of you who think a degree in English is useless, perhaps now you see that that is just not the case. It's easy to assume the worst about the liberal arts, but there is a world of opportunity for English majors; it just requires some thought and ambition. So for all of my fellow English majors out there, ignore the haters and the ones who don't understand. Do what you love and love what you do, and you'll find a job you'll love.