Credit: theblaze.com
Pin It
// At Bloomsburg University

I Owe Tomi Lahren An Apology

From a liberal, and yes, this apology is serious.

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

Tomi, your “Final Thoughts” have infuriated me on more than one occasion. Your controversial political comments have received you plenty of praise and criticism, but you already know that. People love you or they hate you, but they’re talking about you and you get conversations started about important topics/issues. I cannot say I’ve ever agreed with you though. As a poor reflection on me, in addition to my disagreement with you, I never liked you or even respected you.

Until this past week. You appeared on “The View” to join the panel of women to discuss politics. I was annoyed with your defense of Trump’s Muslim ban and when you said Trump was in no way “anti-woman” I found myself rolling my eyes. But then, you were asked about your pro-choice beliefs and my jaw dropped. I’ve held so many opinions about you based on your standpoint on other political issues that I never even thought to consider your stance on the abortion issue. You do not claim to be a feminist, and actually dispute feminists’ arguments, so I just assumed you were pro-life, as many others, I assume, did too. That was wrong.

When you said, “so stay out of my guns, and you can stay out of my body as well” I wanted to physically applaud you. Your statement was so strong, confident, and spunky. As a fellow woman, I was so proud of your comment and you unapologetic tone. And then I shamed myself. Your tone of this comment was no different than the way you express your views on other political issues, the only difference being this time I agreed with you. You are honest, raw, strong, confident, and overwhelmingly unapologetic in your “Final Thoughts” on TheBlaze, something I would praise if the show were hosted by a liberal woman. I would watch that segment every week excitedly. I realized how hypocritical I was.

I am liberal, feminist woman. I pride myself on supporting other women, encouraging each other to be ambitious, strong, and to never refrain from expressing our opinions/values, and to feel empowered. Yet, here I have been tearing a strong, confident woman who holds her values close to her heart down simply because we have differing opinions. Tomi, I am sorry for that. I have realized that I should have immense respect for you, despite our differing opinions. Women need to stick together, especially in politics and other male-dominated situations.

I am also sorry that your pro-choice comments got your “Final Thoughts” suspended. Nobody should be punished for speaking their minds and owning their opinions. I understand TheBlaze is a conservative network and that they have a right to air commentators who reflect their views, but that does not make suspending you morally right. In many aspects, you are a conservative and being pro-choice does not diminish identifying yourself as such. Almost nobody is 100 percent one party. That is just not logical.

TheBlaze is limiting themselves by not expressing many aspects, opinions, and individuals of the conservative party because they disliked one of your comments. Glenn Beck, the founder of TheBlaze's tweets about your comments have been petty, and yours have been strong and demonstrating that you will continue to be strong and honest. I am proud of you for not apologizing for your viewpoints.

You have resonated with so many people and you have been a voice for many young conservative women. So, I hope they do lift your suspension. But, if they don’t, I know this will not be the last we heard from you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on politics and current events while I embrace my newfound, and long overdue, respect for you. I may not agree with you, but I respect what you’re doing.

See Also: An Apology To Tomi Lahren From A Republican

Like Odyssey on Facebook

I'm your typical nerd, as well a self-proclaimed make-up enthusiast and reality TV connoisseur who actually runs on Dunkin.