Amy Schumer & Self Love

Amy Schumer & Self Love

14
abcnews.go.com

In case you missed it, Amy Schumer took to Twitter on Monday to reveal herself...literally. The picture was for the Pirelli Calendar, an annual trade calendar published by the UK division of Pirelli, shot this year by Annie Leibovitz. This year's calendar featured women such as Yoko Ono, Serena Williams, Tavi Gevinson, Fran Leibowitz, Mellody Hobbson, and many more--all of different shapes, sizes, ethnicities, and backgrounds. Differing immensely from previous years, this calendar focuses on these woman as individuals and what they accomplished to become who they are instead of their bodies and made up faces.

What makes Amy Schumer stand out though? She is one of only two woman not clothed in their portraits (the other being Serena Williams). Amy posted the photo on Twitter the same day the calendar was released with the caption: "Beautiful, gross, strong, thin, fat, pretty, ugly, sexy, disgusting, flawless, woman. Thank you @annieleibovitz". The picture symbolizes Amy being recognized for her accomplishments, not a "perfect" size 0 body. That's what the 2016 Pirelli calendar was all about, women doing outstanding things and being celebrated for it.

In a society where you're either too thin or not thin enough, it's monumental when we accept ourselves for who we are. Amy Schumer's tweet pretty much sums up what it's like being a woman today. We are told to look a certain way but to love and accept ourselves if we don't and then we're criticized for being overly confident. No matter what we do or how we look, someone will always be there to tell us we are wrong. As expected that starts to take a toll on our self esteem. Too many girls are starving themselves and throwing up anything they eat just to weigh less than their friends. We've come to associate the number on the scale with being accepted and loved, and that's not what it is at all. The only relationship that should EVER be defined by your weight is the one between you and gravity.

As someone who has struggled with a positive body image for a very long time, it's empowering to see women like Amy Schumer stand up to society and say "I don't give a f**k." Being comfortable in your own skin is so rare these days, it's hard to believe anyone (other than the few blessed supermodels) could ever be happy with the way they look. In a behind the scenes video of the photoshoot, she said "I felt more beautiful than I ever have in my life," which is HUGE for a woman in today's world, to be completely exposed and feel comfortable enough to share it. When most girls won't even let themselves be tagged in an unflattering picture on Facebook, Amy makes her own beauty from her imperfections.

Amy Schumer, along with the rest of the subjects of the 2016 Pirelli calendar, define what it means to be a woman: diverse, successful, confident, and beautiful.