The Truth About Owning Hermit Crabs

The Truth About Owning Hermit Crabs

What pet stores fail to tell you

4618
The Truth About Owning Hermit Crabs
The Nature Geek via Blog Spot

I read a popular article once talking about why you shouldn't buy hermit crabs due to the fact that in the wild they live 40-50 years as opposed to only months in captivity. While this is true, realistically speaking, people are still going to buy hermit crabs. I own many hermit crabs; but, like any pet, pet owners need to know how to properly care for them. Sellers aren't getting this information out, but it's important. Hermit crabs are not throw away pets. They can live a long time if you take care of them correctly! I've had mine for years now, and here's how to keep them happy and healthy...

1. A proper hermit crab tank.

The plastic small containers should be meant for traveling only. These are not permanent homes. The rule of thumb is two gallons per crab. A tank is the crab's whole world. Their whole lives, for the most part, from now on will be spent in their tank. You wouldn't want to live in a small box, especially when you were meant to live in the wild, free to roam as you please. A 10 gallon tank is not even that expensive. TIP: Petco has "dollar per gallon" day, where they sell 10 gallon tanks for $10, 20 gallon tanks for $20, etc.

2. Heat and Humidity

Hermit crabs live in a tropical environment. In order for them to live for a long time, they need this recreated, which isn't hard at all! All you need is a heating lamp or pad, spray bottle, and heat/humidity gauges. With the exception of the light bulbs for the lamp, these are all one time investments. TIP: A spray bottle can be found for less than a dollar at Walmart. Spray the tank once a day to keep humidity at 80 percent (without proper humidity, the crabs will suffocate). If you buy pet moss, you don't even have to spray that much because it keeps in humidity well. The humidity and heat gauges can be bought together for eight to 12 dollars. The temperature should be about 80 degrees. Any lamp or heating pad will do. Usually a pet store employee can guide you in the right direction. This is probably your most expensive purchase, but it will only run you $30 bucks tops.

3. Substrate

Do not buy the colored sand at a pet store or beach. Just don't. It's expensive, and unnecessary. It sticks to the crab's abdomens and irritates their skin. Do not buy the tiny rocks either. They only break the crabs' limbs, and the crabs can't dig in it. Crabs love to dig, and need about 6 inches of substrate in the bottom of their tank in order to molt. Molting is important in their survival and growth. Please consider looking up more information on molting. TIP: Walmart sells huge bags of play sand for about $4. It lasts forever, and is easy to throw away to clean the tank. I like to mix in Eco-earth, which can be found at Petco for $10 for a huge bag. It helps with humidity, and the hermit crabs love how easy it is to dig in. Some owners use only Eco-earth, but that can get expensive. The play sand is just fine!

4. Water Bowls

Yes, that's right: bowls. Not sponges. They need water bowls to dip their shells in and bathe. It's easier for them to drink. It's best to have two water bowls: freshwater, and saltwater. They need both if you want your hermit crab to live as long as possible, as they would in the wild. TIP: They sell inexpensive water conditioner at the pet store. Condition the water in your spray bottle that you use to spray the tank for humidity and use that water to pour in your hermit crab's bowl. The water needs conditioner because the chemicals in tap water blisters the crabs' bodies. The conditioner lasts a long time (a little bit goes a long way), and so do the salt rocks that you can add to water for saltwater as well.

5. Toys

Hermit crabs like to have fun too! If you want them to be happy, get them what they love. This includes things to climb on, and things to hide in. The pet stores sell caves (the crabs love to hang out in caves), and fun sticks for the crabs to climb on. TIP: You can never have enough things for the crabs to climb on. Get creative, I once used suction cups and basketball hoop net to make a climbing wall. Look online if the pet store doesn't have a wide selection of climbing toys (which can happen).

6. Food

Why get those disgusting pellets sold at the store when you could feed them every day things you have in your fridge? TIP: Hermit crabs love baby carrots. Mine can't get enough. I also have coconut shavings I found at a pet store once. Shrimp is their favorite, and they love fruit. Would you want to eat those pellets every day? Probably not. Don't make your hermit crabs!

7. Shells

Please know how bad the painted shells are for the hermit crabs. They don't like them. The paint chips, and if the crab consumes it, paint chips are toxic and could kill them. I purchase crabs with painted shells, but as soon as I get them home within the hour, they're moving into natural shells that I have. TIP: Painted shells cost around $3 each. You can get a whole bag of decorative shells at Dollar General for $1. I get one or two of those bags and have plenty of options for my crabs.

8. Companions

Hermit crabs travel together in the wild. They're all tight knit, and love to be together. They can get anxious by themselves, so it's best to have a companion for your crab! Mine like to sleep on top of each other. TIP: I know your kids want to have their own tanks for their hermit crabs, separate from their siblings; but, try to convince them to share a tank. Tell them how much happier the crab will be with a friend!

I really hope these tips can help someone become a better hermit crab owner, or perhaps teach people that hermit crabs are not throw away pets. Own hermit crabs! They're sweet, and all have different personalities. They can be great pets; but, like any pet need the proper supplies. Being a pet owner is a commitment and requires investments. Please keep this in mind as you take your summer trip to the beach!